The Times and The Sunday Times are looking for a football reporter.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated and ambitious journalist to provide football news and analysis for Times and Sunday Times readers.
Applicants should have experience writing for a national newspaper, magazine or sports website with an understanding of what makes a news story and a hunger to set the sporting agenda with exclusives.
Please apply with a covering letter and your CV by January 30.
- Consistently deliver accurate, engaging copy to strict deadlines
- Pitch agenda-setting exclusive story ideas to the section editor
- Work with the sport team on big projects, campaigns and interviews
- Build and maintain excellent contacts in football
- Be a self-starter and pitch strong ideas across print and digital
- Use social networking and other digital platforms for content generation and to promote Times football content
- Work collaboratively with other sections across the paper, particularly digital and graphics, to ensure the best presentation of stories on our digital platforms
Skills and experience
- A background in football coverage and a demonstrable interest in the topic
- Experience writing for a national newspaper, magazine or sports website
- Ability to spot a story of interest to Times readers
- Tenacity and persistence in getting the story
- Keen attention to detail and meticulous fact-checking
- Ability to work autonomously and to strict deadlines
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate succinctly and effectively
- Unflappable and reliable under pressure
- An understanding of editorial compliance and regulatory issue.
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
30 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.