The Wall Street Journal is seeking a Deputy Editor to manage the daily journalism of our Style News desk, including handling fast-turn-around breaking stories, top-quality beat coverage, memorable features and sharp analysis pieces.
Style News is a new desk that will blend deep reporting, intelligent wit and good taste to create compulsively readable spot stories, analysis and features on the subjects of style, entertainment, celebrity, society, lifestyle and the arts. Whether it's Jeff Bezos's disco-themed New Year's Eve ensemble or the "book stylists" of White Lotus, stories from this desk will have a lively lens on culture, style and fashion - with a fast-paced, robustly reported execution.
You will oversee the daily activities of a small team of reporters and help run the nuts-and-bolts of daily publishing at the center of Style News, and requires working closely with the Editor and other stakeholders to set priorities and ensure that our Style coverage is lively, fast, dominant and maximally engaging our audience.
You will work with another editor to polish the reporting and set it up to reach the widest possible audience with the best possible headlines, social and alert language. You will push the desk to explore new formats. You will come with dozens and dozens of witty, stylish, brainy and irresistible story ideas.
- Sharp writing and strong editing skills married with a knack for display, especially as it extends to mobile, push notifications and platforms.
- Impeccable news judgment-in particular the ability to see around corners and figure out what comes next-and a comfort using audience data in daily programming decisions.
- Experience running coverage and reporters in the topic areas of llifestyle, style, entertainment, celebrity, or society to gain maximum audience on-platform and off.
- A strong sense of humor, including a proven history of finding clever, charming and unexpected ways into stories, paired with meticulous attention to getting facts and details exactly right.
- Experience editing elegant, audience-garnering features and the occasionally thorny structural, legal and stylistic challenges they can present.
- A combination of diplomacy, personal charm and toughness.
- 5 to 10 years experience editing and running coverage on a relevant beat, from fast-moving scoops to polished feature stories.
- Strong judgment in packaging and presenting news.
- A command of editing and digital headline writing.
- Design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages.
- An understanding of how to balance breaking news with enterprise and features journalism.
- Recognition of the Journal's core digital audience and its needs and expectations. Goal is to help connect the content with the audience and to actively grow the audience.
- Familiarity with WSJ. Magazine and the Journal's brands, content offering and various digital/print platforms. You will uphold The Wall Street Journal's high standards and ethics.
- The ability to deftly balance the needs of breaking news and enterprise journalism with audience growth in mind. It requires speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools and a strong command of newsroom workflows.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
You will report to the Editor of Style News. While you will likely start the job working remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit a cover letter describing your experience and interest in this job, a detailed resume and examples of your work with a sentence or two that describe what the work shows about your capabilities.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 31364