The Wall Street Journal is looking for a photo editor for a contract term of 3-6 months, in our London office. You have range, experience and journalistic integrity, can work quickly and decisively in breaking news situations, produce complex photo assignments, perform strong agency and social media research, and work within a large newsroom setting with bureaus around the world. You will join our London hub working alongside our International Photo Editor there. You will work with the Asia and Europe bureaus on the breaking and spot news of the day across all coverage areas - from International news to Financial Markets and Business News. The London team will also work closely with our New York-based photo editors..
You may start this job remotely, but will ultimately be based in our London office. You will report to the Deputy Photography Director, News. The position may involve some weekend shift work and hours will be determined with the news needs.
- Work quickly and accurately on breaking news and enterprise stories, collaborating with editors, visual teams and section chiefs across the newsroom.
- Work with the International Photo Editor who is driving visual coverage in the international time zone, anticipating photographic and other needs as stories develop.
- Work in our CMS to combine different formats, newsroom tools and visual elements.
- Demonstrate deep research skills and experience with news gathering and research tools including Storyful, Social and Satellite research for breaking news and general coverage.
- Photography assigning: Have the ability to commission original content, working with photographers, editors and reporters to tell narrative, investigative, breaking news and enterprise stories on all platforms including mobile and print - coordinating briefings and handovers with your New York photo team colleagues.
- Follow department guidelines and safety protocols in working with photographers and subjects.
- Promote a diverse and exciting group of photographers and subjects, with an eye to building new audiences for our journalism.
- Work with platform and off-platform editors to surface the work strategically across all platforms.
- Work with the International Photo Editor to manage an assigning/research budget.
- At least 3 years experience in a photo editing role, an enthusiasm for good journalism and current events, and keen news judgment.
- A strong network of international photographers and sources, spanning Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
- Knowledge of web tools and programs, including content management systems, Photoshop, PhotoMechanic, video editing tools, FTP, and social media tools
- Motivation to work independently as well as with a team.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and an ability to balance short and long term projects across different sections.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Contingent Workers
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 31668