The Wall Street Journal is looking for a senior platform editor to join our Off-Platform team as we expand our focus on visual and vertical storytelling.
The senior platform editor will help lead a team responsible for crafting visually rich news experiences on vertical platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat and Google Web Stories. The job involves developing and executing the WSJ's approach across visual-first social channels for a wide range of projects, from enterprise journalism and features to breaking news.
You will work directly with photo, video, graphics, design and strategy colleagues to create compelling and accurate storytelling experiences and find opportunities to serialize features. You will distribute and optimize visually driven content, understanding where and how it appears on specific channels, with a goal of more deeply engaging our existing and potential audiences.
You will assign, direct and supervise the day-to-day work of other platform editors and ensure it is of the highest quality and meets our ethical standards. You will be an advocate for the needs of our off-platform channels with coverage chiefs and be an evangelist for digital storytelling in the newsroom. In addition to being a key voice in product improvements for digital platforms and editorial tools, you will help manage day-to-day relationships with external partners and be involved in shaping storytelling experiments.
This position is based in our New York office and reporters to the Off-Platform Editor.
- Showcase our journalism for the millions of people who come to us from social channels, with a dedicated focus on visual-first platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Google Web Stories.
- Act as an arbiter on decisions related to news distribution, play and packaging.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with external partners.
- Initiate storytelling experiments to leverage the native features of the platforms.
- Foster development of individual team members by seeking out growth opportunities.
- Serve as a key voice in product initiatives for digital platforms and editorial tools.
- Set team schedules, manage workflow and participate in performance reviews.
- Ensure team members receive appropriate training and support to do their work.
- Communicate changes to workflow, tools and best practices on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in recruiting and evaluating candidates during the hiring process.
- Collaborate with various newsroom teams to ensure the Journal's visually driven stories are executed at a high level across all channels.
- Attend coverage planning meetings to identify and shape stories with the highest potential to engage audiences on visual-first social platforms.
- Be data-informed in your decision-making to grow our reach on these channels.
- Help codify visual best practices on social media, including the creation of custom templates; clarify and update the guidelines as necessary.
- Explore opportunities for live-streaming via various platforms; conceive original content that can be serialized on those platforms.
- Contribute to efforts associated with the day-to-day publishing of visual content on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more.
- Help our news desks craft social language and optimize visuals for these platforms.
- Coordinate with other social-media editors, including colleagues in Europe and Asia, to ensure smooth transitions in social publishing around the clock.
- Closely collaborate with fellow editors on the homepage and mobile teams to maintain a unified publishing approach on and off platform.
- Strong digital skills and a background in audience development, editing, writing, data or visual storytelling.
- Experience delivering news packages on visual-first social platforms, especially Instagram and Snapchat.
- At least four years of experience working at the intersection of social media and journalism and a passion for learning news tools and storytelling formats.
- Strong editorial judgment and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a cross-functional team.
- Recognition of the Journal's digital audience and its needs and expectations.
- Experience with social-media publishing and analytics tools, including SocialFlow, Adobe Analytics, CrowdTangle and other relevant software or platforms.
- Familiarity with photo- and video-editing software, including Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, After Effects and/or other relevant tools. Animation skills are a plus.
- Strong organizational skills. Must be able to work well under pressure, set priorities among many tasks and keep up with the demands of multiple editors.
- Uphold The Wall Street Journal's high standards and ethics.
- Ideally, some experience managing teams.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 31868