We have an opportunity for a reporter to join our team working on the Beccles & Bungay Journal and Lowestoft Journal. Through its newspaper, website , and social media channels, we reach thousands of people every day to give them the stories that matter most to them.
As a reporter you’ll be expected to forge strong contacts in the community and have good local knowledge. Crime, councils, courts, social issues and culture will all be on your radar, and you'll know how to dig out a story.
You will be bursting with ideas and have excellent news judgement. Good organisational and communication skills are vital, as is the ability to work under pressure.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to write clean, accurate copy are a minimum requirement. Multi-media awareness is a benefit, but the role is suited to someone strong in the fundamentals of journalism – building contacts and finding exclusives. This is not a desk job, and those unwilling to get their hands dirty need not apply.
This is a full-time opportunity working shifts, that include some weekends on a rota basis. Our modern offices in Norwich city centre are a lively base where your team are situated. You will travel to the Waveney area regularly to interview, dig out stories and get to know the stories that really matter.
You will have:
- NCTJ / Journalism Degree or equivalent
- Evidence of great competence in written and verbal communication skills
- Great spelling/attention to detail - particular for writing captions
- Excellent news judgement
- Lots of ideas for print and digital platforms
- Good knowledge of Norfolk / Waveney
- Ability to produce sparkling copy for our newspapers and websites
- Driving licence (able to use pool car)
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary from £20,000
- Pay increase after successfully passing probation
- Full 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off!!
- Structured career progression, ongoing training and personal performance reviews
- Full range of benefits including
- Generous sick pay scheme
- Discount Vouchers
- Discounted Gym membership
- Health and wellbeing support (GP appointments)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual Volunteer work day
- Archant Gold – matched charity fundraising
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV and covering letter.
Please note that if you have not been invited in for an interview within two weeks of your application, then you can assume on this occasion that you have been unsuccessful
For an informal chat about the role, call Weeklies Group Editor Andrew Fitchett on 07584 503055