Features Editor at DMGT London
Location: New Scientist Headquarters – London however could potentially be worked remotely from the US.
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 29 days’ holiday
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 4% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 4x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
- Private Medical Insurance – Bupa
- Flexible Working policy
- Free gym membership at Northcliffe House Gym
- Eye care assistance
- Family Friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Support
- Access to the magazine
- Access to newscientist.com, New Scientist app
- Invites to NS Events
Plus many other benefits….
This position will form part of the features team within editorial, and will report in to the head of features.
We are looking for a talented features editor to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for commissioning and editing world-class, cutting edge feature articles and special issues. Ideally they will have an area of expertise within science. We are especially keen to hear from those with a specialism in technology and/or consumer health, but are open to applicants from all beats.
The successful candidate will be bursting with ideas, have impeccable editorial standards and time management skills and an ability to work collaboratively.
This role is based in London, but could potentially be worked remotely from the US.
- Develop ideas for, commission and edit at least 23 timely and compelling features each year
- Proactively seek out and pitch outstanding ideas, and contribute to special issues.
- Build contacts with writers and scientists to make sure we are commissioning the best, most compelling and up to date biomedical science and technology stories
- Monitor traffic statistics and subscriptions data
- Develop feature ideas with in-house reporters across editorial
- Work closely with the art and design team on making our features attractive both in print and online
- Work with the digital team and the subs team to come up with the best way to sell our stories on digital platforms, including taking responsibility for web heads and straps, newsletter blurbs and social media sells
- Write features or contribute to special issues, and contribute to other sections of the magazine/business as required
- Attend covers meetings and contribute to the cover sells, write leaders where necessary
- Edit other content within reason when required
- Significant editing experience at a popular science publication or similar
- Preferably experience working on a weekly publication
- Significant feature writing experience
- Excellent knowledge of the cutting edge in their beat, and a demonstrable experience of science journalism in this beat
- Great relationships with scientists and writers working on this beat
- A degree in a science or technology, ideally
- A passionate interest in both science and technology
- A good understanding of digital journalism, SEO and audience engagement
- A desire to explore new ways to tell longform stories in print and on digital platforms
Skills & Behaviours
- Able to take initiative and a proactive attitude
- Ability to generate excellent and compelling ideas
- Excellent editorial judgement and an imaginative approach to science journalism
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Collaborative and able to build relationships with people at all levels, both internally across multiple departments and also externally
- Ability to encourage and support others
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to work effectively under pressure
- Self starter
- Flexible and adaptive
We are New Scientist
In a world where true facts are in short supply, there has never been a greater need for a trusted, impartial source of information about what’s going on in the world – or a greater need for inspiration through great ideas. From artificial intelligence to climate change, from the latest innovations in health and the human mind, New Scientist (NS) covers the ideas and innovations that matter.
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.