The Sunday Mirror and Sunday People are looking for an experienced Head of Features to join their team. This is an excellent opportunity to become head of our lively features department where you will run the desk with the support of the Deputy Features Editor and lead a team of writers and columnists.
This role is ideal for a skilled and experienced editor who can source and create engaging features across a variety of topics covering everything from showbiz to historical pieces, investigations, real-life and consumer issues while reacting to the news agenda to secure big exclusive buy-ups and commentary from a diversity of guest writers.
So who are we?
You might not have heard of us, but we have probably met without you even realising it. Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and of course, the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories, because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
This role is based in Canary Wharf, we are therefore open to candidates based in and around London.
What will the role involve?
- To run the features desk and department with passion and skill
- To support the Editor and Deputy Editor in producing competitive, agenda-setting papers
- To deliver strong features for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People in accordance with IPSO and legal requirements
- To originate articles in-house at little or no cost to the company as well as speaking to freelancers, press agencies, PR agents and other contacts to buy in features within a fixed contributions budget
- To generate fresh ideas for the Sunday Mirror and Sunday People in conference every day and at other times when requested, for example forward planning meetings
- To manage the Deputy Features Editor as well as a team of reporters and columnists both in the office and in regional roles
- To present the features list to the Editor and Deputy Editor in conference
The Ideal Candidate
Who are we looking for?
- A high level of professionalism
- Excellent people management skills
- Superb news sense and an eye for a story
- Flexibility in working hours including evenings and weekends as required
- Flexibility in working styles
- Sound judgement and initiative with the ability to make critical decisions in a high-pressure environment
- A sense of responsibility regarding the content of both newspapers and making this content competitive within the market
- Excellent confidence and communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
Required qualifications and experience
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law
- Previous experience managing a team
- Previous desk experience on a national title
- Previous experience in a fast-paced newsroom
- Experience of commissioning features and/or working on regional news titles or agencies
- Previous experience successfully managing a budget
- Previous experience of editing other writers' copy
- Excellent contacts within the industry
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement - join our pension scheme and we'll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days' holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years' service with Reach, you'll accrue one additional day of annual leave.
We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day - an additional day's leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave - including maternity, paternity and adoption - and you'll be eligible after just six months' employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan - free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK's top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone's invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support - including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities - you'll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.