Production Designer Country & Town House – Salary circa £25k subject to experience
Country & Town House is looking for a hard-working and well-organised Production Designer to support the Creative & Production Director and editorial team. Our tagline is ‘a life in balance’ and sustainability and championing homegrown talent is at the heart of everything we do. If you want to be a part of this aspirational lifestyle brand and join a growing, independently-run publishing business – we want to hear from you.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year’s experience in magazine production in a publishing environment. The core of this role is managing the day-to-day operations on the art desk and providing production support for the editorial, online and commercial teams, while ensuring all C&TH print titles and online assets are delivered accurately to the highest standard. There will be scope within the role to take on project management of special issues and supplements. With your experience, you’ll be able to bring a working knowledge of the technical elements of magazine production and help the business become more efficient, productive, and effective and become a key member of our welcoming team.
Here’s what a few team members recently said about working at C&TH.
‘C&TH is a fun and innovative place to work at. It is fast-paced and stretching but at the same time it’s very rewarding to see the great products we produce. It has a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, where everyone’s opinion counts and you feel valued as a member of the team.’
‘C&TH is a company that gives you free rein to pitch new ideas and actually act on them, giving everyone a chance to shape the company they work for.’
‘Working at C&TH means working with the friendliest, most generous and most passionate team in the business. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun while doing it.’
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Supporting the Creative & Production Director on C&TH’s print portfolio, online and commercial creative
- Managing all day-to-day production duties
- Working in collaboration with internal stakeholders, including commercial, marketing, online and editorial teams to fufil design elements of C&TH’s commercial goals and commitments
- Design of editorial pages and advertising to set style templates
- Design of supplement advertorials
- Project management and production responsibility for School House magazine
- Receiving and pre-flight checking advertising copy, raising issues with commercial team if artwork problems are found and preparing adverts for press.
- Assisting commercial and online teams with asset creation, campaign reports, media packs, brandings, logos, GIFs.
- Liaising with commercial teams to ensure client design requirements are fully met
- Implementing design changes from clients
- Maintaining monthly flat plan for all C&TH print titles
- Producing digital versions of the monthly magazine and supplements
- Pre-flight checking and uploading magazine pages to the printer’s server each month
- Checking proofs, ensuring pages are of an excellent standard and any corrections or instructions have been actioned
- Picture research when requested
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- A Graphic Design degree with a minimum one year’s experience in publishing or magazine design
- Good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite - InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Well organised and able to juggle multiple tasks and prioritise
- A keen eye for detail and a natural flair for design
- Can confidently design to house style and templates while also pushing boundaries
- Ability to both work independently and take direction, while meeting tight deadlines
- Keen to take on responsibility and learn quickly
- A team player with the ability to build close working relationships with the entire team and understand the vision of the brand
- Some experience using WordPress and Campaign Monitor
About Country & Town House
Country & Town House (countryandtownhouse.com) is the go-to destination for trusted, inspiring and uplifting content that enhances our readers’ lifestyles wherever they live and champions living a balanced life. C&TH delivers relevant and inspiring content across its main pillars of Culture, Style, Interiors, Property, Hotels & Travel, Food & Drink and Health & Wellbeing, through print, online, social media, newsletters, podcasts and events. Content, where relevant, is underpinned by helping consumers make better choices when it comes to products and services that highlight sustainability as a driving consideration.
C&TH has signed up to Race To Zero, pledging to reduce its carbon output by half by 2030, and has an ambition of becoming a B-Corp business, meaning we put planet and people on the same footing as profit.
At C&TH, we see the value in having a diverse range of perspectives within our workforce. We are therefore committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships. To help eliminate any potential bias, our recruitment processes include the use of anonymised documentation during short-listing.
We will only interview applicants who supply a covering letter or email stating why they feel qualified for the job together with a portfolio of recent work to email@example.com