- Business: emap
- Base Location: Shoreditch
- Brand: Drapers
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £ DOE
Drapers aims to help those working in fashion retail make better business decisions through exclusive news, analysis, commentary, and in-depth research. Now in its 135th year, it is the UK’s market leading B2B publication for the fashion industry, with unparalleled authority in the sector.
The deputy editor will help to manage the day-to-day running of the editorial team and execute Drapers’ brand growth strategy. This includes overseeing the editorial team to ensure engaging, accurate and grammatically correct copy is produced in a timely manner, across print, digital, newsletters and social media. A core part of the role will be planning, commissioning, writing and editing content, and taking responsibility for signing off pages for the magazine in the editor’s absence.
Drapers offers a growing portfolio of virtual and face-to-face conferences, awards and smaller bespoke networking events, and the deputy editor will be required to help develop these and, at times, to chair them. As a senior member of the team, the deputy editor will also be expected to act as a brand ambassador at external events.
- Ensuring that the content team operates efficiently across print and digital channels.
- Running the daily editorial team meeting and overseeing news and features planning meetings.
- Ensuring Drapers covers a breadth of sectors, people and topics, and there is a good balance in each issue of the magazine. Keeping an eye out for new ways to improve our content, and inspiring the team.
- Working with the production and design teams, and head of digital engagement, to ensure content is optimised online, and the website is kept up to date.
- Day-to-day management of the core team of writers and editors. Direct line management of section editors (news, features and fashion).
- Carrying out appraisals, and identifying and meeting individuals’ and team development needs, including training requirements and any performance issues.
- Signing off proofs in the editor’s absence and deputising on any final editorial and commercial/ad-related decisions.
- Supporting with new content ideas, digital initiatives and development of events. Attending events, press days, conferences, setting up meetings with senior people in the industry, appearing on television and radio – building a profile within the industry (subject to Covid restrictions).
- Working with the conference team to put together agenda-setting programmes and suggesting speakers for events. Chairing sessions at conferences, breakfast roundtables, awards, webinars, Inner Circle dinners, etc.
- Building wish lists, categories and criteria for awards
- Leading the weekly commercial/editorial catch up and regularly passing on leads to the commercial team. Attending relevant commercial meetings and events.
- Devising new ideas and products that could have commercial opportunities, including ad-get features/special issues, events, and sponsorship opportunities.
Skills and experience:
- NCTJ qualification, or equivalent journalism training or experience
- Effective people management
- Ability to commission, edit and proof copy to a high standard
- Strategic planning
- Exceptional written English
- Excellent communication and people management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Collaborative and creative approach to working
- Ability to work efficiently across different functions of the business
- A curious nature with a strong attention to detail
Please email your CV along with cover letter and examples/portfolio to email@example.com
Benefits: emap is part of the Metropolis Group and we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers and more
We positively celebrate Diversity & Inclusion in emap. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We are committed to achieving a working environment that provides equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination. We aim to become the most inclusive business in Publishing- both for our people and our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we work with. We want people from all backgrounds to feel valued for their individuality and to thrive in our business and feel part of the Metropolis Group.