Audience Development Lead - eCommerce
The Independent is looking for a dynamic and experienced Senior Audience Development Editor to join our growing team developing our continuously-evolving audience strategy. The right candidate will be a highly organised self-starter, with a deep understanding of how to achieve audience growth across all platforms, but especially SEO. We are looking for someone who can lead and motivate a team of audience editors in the UK and work with our audience teams around the world. The ideal candidate will be someone a creative thinker who isn’t afraid to experiment. You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment where accuracy and creativity are key so the ability to think under pressure is vital.
This person grows audiences – to our websites, to social, to video, and newsletters – and ensures they are the 'right' audiences so that consumer and commercial revenue teams can deliver against their targets and ambitions.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned audience development professional who has broadened their experience across channels and understands multiple channel strategies for growth. They will be aware of best practice on established platforms and channels and keep abreast and ahead of key developments (e.g. algorithm changes, emerging platforms and changing consumer behaviour), tailoring strategy and recommendations accordingly. They will have experience managing a team. The candidate should have demonstrated ability to lead large-scale content initiatives working through both in-house and freelance teams, and to work with freelance talent and/or agencies to supply needs and gaps. They will be a proactive, talented, energetic advocate for digital excellence, with an ability to work creatively and ambitiously and think outside the box.
Key responsibilities and skills:
- Grow and develop audiences for eCommerce verticals (e.g. Independent Best, Travel) to ensure delivery of commercial ambitions.
- Work closely with the Editorial team to develop and implement data-driven SEO content strategies and grow search traffic.
- Help to develop and implement our audience strategy, adapting it for the market and culture. The strategy will be multiplatform, including website, social, video, newsletter, and other platforms
- Set and monitor audience development goals for reach, engagement, SEO ranking and monetisation.
- Provide regular and accurate reporting of audience development performance against forecast. Distribute audience growth and actionable performance insights across relevant teams.
- Perform ongoing SEO Reporting, sorting and analysing website data
- Perform SEO content research (including remaining up-to-date on industry trends and performing keyword research)
- Provide Technical SEO support, working with development teams as needed
- Manage strategy and delivery of SEO evergreen updates, SEO cleanups and redirects with audience development and editorial teams
- Provide editorial support, auditing and suggesting content ideas, improvements and updates
- Plan and execute distribution strategies for big content campaigns and events (e.g. Prime Day, Black Friday, new vertical/product launches)
- Manage Audience Development team
- Help to improve relevant workflows through the analysis of existing business processes, identifying innovative alternatives and recommendations for more effective or efficient 'ways of working'.
Essential skills and experience:
- Strong familiarity with The Independent and our coverage
- Proven track record for increasing followers, engagement and traffic
- Experience managing a team
- Excellent organisational and planning skills required to manage the daily/weekly/monthly publishing flow of an editorial team.
- Experience collaborating with editors to grow and increase audience, both on site and across platforms.
- Proficiency in analysing complex issues and developing actionable insights and plans – using data from proprietary platform analytics (e.g. Facebook) and or third-party aggregate sources (e.g., CrowdTangle).
- Experience using SEO tools (e.g. Webmaster tools, SEMrush) and reporting and analytics tools (Adobe Analytics, Chartbeat).
- Skilled content creator.
- Expert knowledge of trends and tools for social media platforms.
- Experience of working in a dynamic fast-paced media environment.
To apply, please send an up-to-date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage. The Independent is an equal opportunities employer. If you require any reasonable adjustments to complete your application, please do not hesitate to advise us accordingly.