Fabulous Features Writer
We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations including talkSPORT, VirginRadio, talkRADIO and Times Radio.
Your team: Fabulous is the leading women’s lifestyle brand in the country - with a weekly magazine, digital platforms and daily printed section inside The Sun newspaper. The Sun is the biggest news brand in the UK, publishing hundreds of stories a day and reaching over 170m unique users digitally every month. Its exclusives set the news agenda and its campaigns have changed the lives of many. In recent years, The Sun has campaigned for victims of domestic abuse, NHS workers and veterans to name only a few. The Sun has a mass-market audience and aims to appeal to a diverse audience in the UK and beyond. Here at Fabulous we are looking for the most talented and committed journalists to join us.
Your role: You will work within the Fabulous team - comprising the magazine, website and the women’s section of the newspaper.
Your work will be largely focused on the daily women’s section inside the newspaper. You will generate topical features across beauty and lifestyle, relationships, celebrity and real life. You will bring in must-read exclusives and agenda-setting content. Your stories will also drive traffic online. Reporting to the Fabulous Daily Editor.
Day to day you will:
- Generate original, creative ideas for features, reacting to the news agenda, finding trends and talking points on social media, and responding to the mood of our readers.
- Find and interview exclusive case studies and write thorough, emotive copy in a range of styles - ghosted opinion pieces, report style investigations and third person real life stories.
- Develop and nurture your relationships with celebrity agents, freelance writers and experts across a wide range of fields - from psychology to skincare and home interiors.
- Be front and centre of your features - from writing first person pieces to appearing in photo shoots and videos for Instagram and TikTok when you test consumer products or trends.
- Deliver your own features from start to finish. You will also commission and manage projects from idea to page - or website - making sure pictures are perfect too.
What we’re looking for from you:
- Enthusiasm, imagination, a notebook full of ideas and a diverse range of contacts
- Excellent interview skills and the ability and desire to consistently write sparkling copy
- A keen interest in lifestyle content such as beauty, homes and relationships
- A finger on the pulse when it comes to television and radio shows, as well as podcasts, and social media or digital trends
- Thrive in a busy environment where you can take initiative and think outside of the box to find solutions
- The confidence and attention to detail required to commission and brief freelance writers and give their copy a first edit
- You will need to juggle multiple features at all times so should have experience of prioritising and managing your time to meet strict deadlines, maintaining high standards
- Have a thorough knowledge of the IPSO Code of Conduct and media law
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy & training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes. We also have 8 employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women’s Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a ‘Bikes for Work’ scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
30 days holiday and up to 4 volunteering days per year;
Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary & paternity leave up to 2 weeks;
Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.