The Wall Street Journal is seeking a reporter to cover the battle for supremacy in streaming video, the central storyline in the entertainment industry.
The job involves leading our coverage of Netflix, the largest streaming player, as the supercharged growth it enjoyed early in the pandemic fades and competition begins to take a toll.
You will chronicle the company's content strategy - as it searches for breakout hits without breaking the bank - as well as its pursuit of new lines of business, from advertising to e-commerce to gaming, and its path in promising international markets.
You will collaborate frequently with others to cover the major streaming players, including Disney+, Amazon, HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount+ and Apple TV+. You will also play a key role in our broader corporate-media coverage, including on major transactions and strategic developments.
You should be comfortable pursuing scoops while also developing deeply-reported, revelatory features.
- Serve as lead reporter on coverage of Netflix.
- Be an integral player in our team coverage of the streaming wars.
- Focus on news and scoops, as well as deeply-reported, revelatory features.
- Assist our media reporters in tracking deals and strategic developments across the sector.
- Several years of business-reporting experience.
- A demonstrated ability to develop sources throughout an organization and generate scoops.
- The ability to collaborate with a team of reporters covering the entertainment industry.
This position is based in our New York City office and reports to Media Editor Amol Sharma.
To apply, please submit your resume, clips and a cover letter explaining how you would approach the role.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 32294