This is an exciting opportunity to establish yourself as an integral part of the features and supplements team on an award-winning national business-to-business travel magazine.
Travel Weekly is the market-leading title for the UK travel trade, with unrivalled reach in print, online, on social media and through its agenda-setting events portfolio.
During a challenging period for the industry, while other travel publications scaled back, Travel Weekly substantially increased support for its trade audience with twice-daily email newsletters, daily webcast interviews, significant growth in social media and a redesign of its website, in addition to continuing its flagship weekly publication in print and online.
Parent company Jacobs Media Group – Europe’s largest B2B multimedia company for the travel and hospitality industries, with brands including The Caterer, Travolution and Connections – has also continued to innovate over the past year, launching a new brand and office in the Middle East and leading the way for the global events industry with new virtual platforms and higher-than-ever audience engagement.
We are looking for a dynamic, hard-working journalist who can produce outstanding features content, work across a range of creative projects, and step up to fill in for the Features & Supplements Editor when required.
You should be willing to grasp what our trade readers are looking for from Travel Weekly’s editorial content and understand how that differs from travel features in consumer publications. You’ll have a positive, can-do attitude and thrive when working as part of a team in a fast-paced environment. In addition, you will be happy to take a multi-platform approach to destination features and be brimming with ideas for how to maximise editorial content online, in video and on social media.
- Write features and source images for weekly Destinations (features) section
- Pitch fresh features ideas and produce well-written, accurate copy to tight deadlines
- Contribute to portfolio of specialist travel supplements including Cruise, Touring & Adventure, Mature Travel and events-related content
- Contribute to sponsored content in print, online, video and social media
- Present webinars and webcasts as directed by the Features & Supplements Editor
- Represent Travel Weekly and sister brands at events, including outside work hours
- Deputise for the Features & Supplements Editor as needed, and contribute occasional news stories as directed by the News Editor
- Some international travel required
The person we need:
- Minimum two years’ experience on the features desk of a national magazine, national newspaper or regional newspaper, preferably with some travel and/or trade experience
- Proven track record in pitching and writing creative features content
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work both quickly and accurately, and manage a demanding workload in a deadline-driven environment
- Strong eye for detail and impeccable editorial standards
- Articulate and enthusiastic, with a flexible, can-do approach and proven problem-solving ability
- Strong understanding of travel publishing and the challenges facing the UK travel industry
- Experience using CMS, and knowledge of SEO and social media
- Network of contacts with travel trade, travel PRs and freelance journalists
- Experience of speaking at in-person events or presenting virtual sessions
- Video editing experience
Why join us?
- Competitive salary
- 25 days’ paid holiday
- Pension scheme contribution
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Professional training allowance
- Mix of central London office and remote working
To apply please send us a CV and covering letter with your salary expectations, examples of your work and three features ideas.