At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join the International Brands Team (Elle, Esquire, Harper’s Bazaar) at Hearst as our Editorial Business Manager to start the next chapter in your career.
We’re the UK’s leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar and Country Living. We’ve created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We’ll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Editorial Business Director, this role acts as the key link between finance and the editorial teams to help play a vital part in supporting with the management of all editorial business across the 8 international brands at Hearst. This includes helping with all brand and departmental editorial budget management, issue cost reporting, as well as the approval and logging of all invoices and expenses across the titles. In addition, you will support with the editorial commissioning and rights procurement, freelance management, and any other relevant editorial administration.
- To be responsible for the approval and management of editorial invoices across the group and to assist with the processing of staff expenses, freelance times sheets, and other financial admin for all brands.
- Act as a liaison between editorial and finance to ensure smooth process of invoices, expenses and payments, and ensure contributors and suppliers are paid in a timely manner.
- Support with the management of the brands monthly mans & ills budgets, including completing the individual manuscripts & illustrations spreadsheets each month, and submitting monthly cost reports to finance.
- To support the teams in handling any relevant legal or contract issues, commissioning forms, freelance onboarding and time-card approval, and any other admin or staffing matters.
- Work closely with relevant budget holders on each editorial team to ensure the proper management of their mans & ills costs, and ensuring budgets are properly managed and updated.
- Together with Editorial Business Director, ensure constant communication regarding budget status and progression with relevant Editors and heads of department.
- Ensure and maintain efficient and unified budget management and cost reporting processes across all the brands, and ensure staff, particularly new starters, are properly trained in the relevant budget and finance systems such as Oracle and Concur.
- Ensure company policies and best working practises are adhered to by staff, with a view to ensuring maximum cost efficiencies on all brands.
- To be an ambassador of Hearst UK and its values.
- You may be required to undertake such further duties as your skills, qualifications and experience allow and/or as may be assigned to you from time to time.
- Previous experience working either in finance for an editorial brand, or in editorial business management for a publishing house, preferably with experience on a consumer magazine.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple deadlines and projects
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure.
- Good organisation skills
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- Prior experience in budget management and cost reporting.
- A passion for magazines and a good understanding of editorial and financial processes.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days) – pro rated for part-time or fixed-term employees
- Hybrid working model – 2 days per week in the office
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.