Money-Media, a business division of the Financial Times, is looking for a managing editor to lead its well-established publication that delves into the nuance of mutual fund board directors.
BoardIQ is a fortnightly publication that provides independent mutual fund directors with the news and intelligence they need.
This is a terrific opportunity to lead a well-respected publication and make your mark. Money-Media, with the backing of the Financial Times, aims to grow this title, which is published online and in print. You will have the benefits of working in on a stable and profitable title in an entrepreneurial environment that encourages innovation.
You will be leading coverage of an industry in flux. Directors serve as the guardians of mutual fund investors' best interests. They oversee fund fees, ensure companies adhere to their duties as fiduciaries. It is a powerful segment, but little known, element of an industry undergoing significant change.
The managing editor is the editorial driver of BoardIQ, overseeing all content development, including original news articles, trend reports, surveys, data-driven content, video and webcasts. The publication delivers valuable original content to an audience of busy senior executives. The managing editor is responsible for pushing through product improvements based on planned upgrades and ongoing market feedback. We expect the managing editor to be engaged with the business side of the publication and an enthusiastic source of ideas and suggestions for growing the title’s reach and profitability.
Strong preference will be given to candidates with a financial industry editorial background. If you have a good understanding of the asset management industry, so much the better.
The managing editor will oversee an associate editor, a data visualization reporter and freelancers, and will report into Money-Media’s Group Managing Editor for new products.
- Oversee all editorial development and processes for story generation, edit stories, write stories
- Regularly write articles based on interviews
- Maintain the overall quality and timeliness of the content and meet the product’s editorial milestones for success
- Establish and maintain close relationships with industry executives and directors
- Travel to industry events and meet with prospects to stay on top of the latest industry trends and to solicit ongoing market feedback about the product
- Coordinate editorial with marketing activities and sales
- Work with other departments to incorporate video, graphics, webcasts into our editorial coverage
- Hire, manage and motivate staff, ensure they are performing at a high standard, support training where necessary
- On occasion, moderate webcasts or panels at events run by Money-Media or the Financial Times’ events group. Share knowledge and expertise where necessary with events group. Represent the BoardIQ editorial team internally and externally
- The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to succeed and a proven track record of producing high-quality content. We seek a person with strong intelligence, high energy, creativity, persistence, and a desire to dig deep into filings and develop sources. The successful candidate will also demonstrate the flexibility and ownership necessary to manage a product moving to an all-digital format. start-up product. Understanding the characteristics and values of our markets are very important. An ability to listen to the marketplace is critical. You will need to hire and motivate your team and keep them focused on the goals of the publication.
- At least seven years of business reporting and editing experience, including experience working on a daily or wire publication. Data journalism experience is a strong plus.
- Experience managing a staff of reporters and helping them improve and develop.
- Demonstrated ability to write or produce content for a specific niche audience. Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication.
- Track record of continuous improvement and initiative and a creative approach to your work.
- Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
- Knowledge of the insurance market specifically or financial services generally a definite plus.
- A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn.
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, and enhanced maternity & paternity packages.
Candidates should be aware that new employees will be required to be vaccinated by their start date, meaning they have received all of the recommended doses for either a one dose or two dose COVID-19 vaccine, and provide proof of vaccination status (e.g. CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) , which will be kept confidential. We are an equal opportunity employer, and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief or a medical disability where it does not pose an undue hardship on the Company.
At the FT, we know our most valuable resources are our people and we embrace our employees’ unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.