For over 160 years, The Telegraph’s stories, dispatches, interviews, and investigations have set the agenda, sparked debate, and provided generations of readers with a trusted source of news, information, and opinion.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers, by 2023, a vision we all stand behind. We wouldn’t be one of the world's most successful media organisations without the talent, determination, and creative spirit of our people. As our readers’ needs evolve, it's more important than ever that we recruit original thinkers and innovative individuals who can keep us at the forefront of our industry. That means not only journalists but also marketers, analysts, designers, engineers, and much more.
We want to foster the diversity of thought through our people and create inclusive working environments that allow everyone to be their authentic selves at work while creating a sense of belonging to ensure we have the highest performing teams.
- A key member of the lifestyle team who plays an active role in defining, shaping and creating the Telegraph's health content, both online and in print. You will need to be motivated and have lots of great ideas for developing this key area for the Telegraph audience.
- This is a senior commissioning role. You’ll be required to react to the daily news agenda and plan long lead health and wellbeing stories that will appeal to the Telegraph audience.
- Generating clever ideas and series which can work across all platforms will be a key part of the role, alongside commissioning and editing to ensure a brilliant daily output that hits deadlines and is published online optimally to reach our subscription targets.
- You’ll also liaise with designers/picture editors/visual storytelling and social departments to ensure that all content is produced to the highest standard and reaches maximum engagement.
- Responsible for commissioning and editing all health content
- Generate original ideas, reacting to the daily news agenda.
- Edit the health section in print ensuring it remains insightful and unique with story ideas that also drive engagement online
- Promote the Telegraph via events and media appearances, externally and internally.
- Forge strong relationships with book publishers; broadcast PRs and agents to secure exclusives for the Telegraph.
- Introduce new writing talent and forge strong relationships with existing writers.
- Attend conferences with editors, and features ideas meetings, to pitch and discuss ideas.
- Forward plan and liaise with other teams across TMG to ensure all opportunities are covered
- Brief picture / art / subs / visual storytelling / video teams as needed.
- Liaise with digital publishing and social teams
- Drive innovative health projects, campaigns and events
- Proofreading and editing features as and when required.
Skills required for the role
- Must have experience of commissioning evidence-based health content.
- Experience of commissioning and planning health content in a fast-paced newsroom
- A strong network of relevant contacts.
- Digital skills
- A keen understanding of the Telegraph audience and an ability to pitch engaging ideas our subscribers will be interested in
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware. For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website