News Desk Team
As a News Editor you’ll be responsible for helping to run the busiest newsdesk in the country, deploying reporters and overseeing the editorial output of the UK’s national news agency.
What you’ll be doing
- Ensuring PA’s news content is fast, accurate and impartial.
- Briefing and deploying reporters and specialists across the UK and Ireland on a rolling basis across weekday, weekend and evening shifts.
- Ensuring our published content is legally safe and Ipso compliant.
- Liaising with Scotland and Ireland editors and all section editors.
- Subbing and publishing content as required to all platforms.
- Liaising with Picture and Video leads to ensure we maximise the output from our multi-skilled journalists.
- Monitoring other media outlets and social media to ensure PA is always up to date with latest news developments.
- Monitoring data around PA content use in real-time and daily/weekly/monthly to ensure we are gaining maximum value from our newsgathering teams.
- Dealing with customer calls and emails, ensuring they get the content they want across words, stills, video, graphics and social media.
- Handling calls to the news desk from PRs and the public.
Who you’ll be
We want to make sure you’re set for success so the key skills we’re looking for in the role are below.
- Excellent news judgment
- Ability to take clear, sensible decisions under pressure to ensure our news services are timely and reliable
- In-depth knowledge of news and current affairs across UK and Ireland.
- Ability to write, re-write and sub content at speed
- Understand and deliver compelling content for digital platforms
- Demonstrable knowledge of UK media law
- Calm manner for dealing with incoming calls
What you’ll need
- NCTJ or equivalent
- Newsdesk experience at national, agency or regional daily level
What we’ll give you
This is a great opportunity to work with talented colleagues in a supportive and collaborative environment. We’ll support you as you continue to develop your career with a well-respected organisation that is central in the UK media landscape.
This role will require flexibility and you will work a variable rota across 7 days. The interview process will be an initial conversation followed by an assessment and a more formal discussion.