Publishing & Platform Editor on the London Hub
The Wall Street Journal seeks a Publishing and Platform Editor for its London news hub.
In this role you will:
- Curate the Wall Street Journal's mobile, desktop and social platforms to expand the reach and engagement of our journalism.
- Edit and publish stories, prepare and send push and email alerts and curate and publish newsletters, all informed by what resonates with WSJ's online readership. That in turn requires a very strong knowledge of audience and SEO data, of methods to boost engagement and an ability to work with specialist editors in those areas to ensure our journalism achieves the strongest possible impact.
- Plan and organize coverage ahead of time to ensure publication times are optimized.
The position is crucial in setting up the U.S. day with the best possible reader experience across all platforms and for every article published.
You will need exceptional news judgment and to adhere to the extremely high editorial standards of the Wall Street Journal.
You will be able to multitask and to make decisions on priorities quickly, calmly and efficiently, and at least in part direct others as an assigning editor.
You need excellent communication skills to plan ahead, organize, and to liaise effectively with multiple stakeholders, including beat chiefs, bureau chiefs, reporters and editors responsible for visuals and platforms.
You will have the ability to quickly learn and to deploy a range of content management systems and publication tools.
Based in The News Building in London's London Bridge Quarter, this is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned journalist to play a key role in the Wall Street Journal's global newsroom.
- Managing the homepage, app and social-media channels in alignment with the Journal's high standards and objectives to expand reach and engagement.
- Editing stories at pace with a keen eye for accuracy, clarity, fairness and presentation, as well as making sure headlines are impactful and SEO-friendly.
- Using news judgment to prioritize tasks and respond quickly to breaking news.
- Sending push and email alerts, working with other members of the team to craft language to ensure maximum engagement.
- Using multiple content-management systems such as Methode, Gutenberg and Live Coverage to a high level of expertise, and trouble-shooting in a crisis.
- Ensuring stories are coded correctly for wires.
- Keeping abreast of traffic data via Cxense.
- Communicating effectively with teams in New York, Barcelona and Hong Kong via Slack and email.
- Proofreading newsletters.
- Strong news judgment in editing and fast-paced publishing of breaking news headlines, stories and alerts.
- Ability to quickly and sharply edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, clarity, structure, balance and fairness.
- A depth of knowledge to quickly assess and prioritize headline writing and editing of breaking news through multiple channels.
- Ability to work as part of a tight-knit team, contributing ideas and offering help to other members.
- An understanding of Dow Jones standards and ethics, as well as the WSJ brand and content.
- Recognition of the core audiences and their needs and expectations.
- Expertise with a range of different publishing systems and platforms.
- A well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Clear and effective communication.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Passion for working as part of a team.
- Flexibility in changing tasks and responding to evolving priorities.
- Desire to learn new skills.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 32624