Lifestyle and Features Editor
Location: i Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for a brilliant Lifestyle and Features Editor to help grow our audience across all platforms.
You will be an accomplished editor with ideas, experience and vision. You will produce smart, intelligent digital features that help to grow i's loyal audience – and introduce new formats that encourage reader subscriptions.
Our audience is interested in deeply researched human interest stories, including those that cut across politics and policy; smart long reads about consumer health, relationships and celebrity; and emerging lifestyle trends. You will develop our coverage in consumer health and wellbeing, relationships, parenting and family, and intelligent celebrity. You will drive smart commissioning and run all aspects of the daily features and lifestyle desk across our hybrid digital and print newsroom. This is a key editorial position that will play a significant role in i's digital development.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, i has been named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards).
- Develop compelling, intelligent and cut-through content that drives digital subscriptions.
- Oversee digital and print publication of all daily lifestyle and features content, taking responsibility for optimising sells, images and liaising with the audience team on promotion.
- Lead the features and lifestyle daily publishing strategy across all platforms, developing a new schedule and new workflows where necessary.
- Use audience insight to inform ideas and commissioning, forward plan for major events and liaise with other section heads on content packages.
- Manage a small team effectively to generate highly engaging first-person features, deeply-reported long reads, interviews and intelligent consumer trend content.
- Work with senior editors and the audience team to champion features and lifestyle journalism, ensuring it meets i’s ambition to grow digital subscribers.
- Proven editor with a track record in leading a team, developing original and exclusive journalism and executing it superbly for digital and print audiences.
- Strong digital publishing experience: You will demonstrate an understanding of content commissions that build audiences, an ability to optimisequality sells for i's digital products and an understanding of how different formats work across platforms
- Demonstrable desk editing experience and the ability to write sparkling and engaging copy.
- Deft at identifying ideas and trends that can be turned into impactful, informative or entertaining feature journalism.
- Experience of working in a multiplatform or digital publishing environment.
- Confident in giving feedback to commissioned writers.
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Experience with digital CMS is
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
To apply, please complete the application form below enclosing a CV and a cover letter, including three feature ideas that would be help drive subscriptions to i's growing website and explaining why.
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.