Our brilliant Political Editor Jen Williams has gone to the Financial Times, so we have a rare opportunity to join our team leading local and national government coverage.
We are looking for an experienced Political Reporter or Journalist who will help shape our political coverage at a critical time for Manchester and the North by joining the Manchester Evening News as our new Political Editor.
You will be someone who understands how politics and policy impacts everyone's lives. You will be able to bring in exclusive stories and spot trends that inform longer agenda-setting reads. You'll be able to write quick takes to deadline or run a live blog or create analysis and comment.
You will be as comfortable cultivating contacts in Westminster as you will be reporting social affairs in Manchester.
As our Political Editor you will support the senior team shaping political coverage across the brand.
The Manchester Evening News is the largest regional website in the country and over the years we have learned how to get political coverage read. We now want to grow that audience further. We are looking for someone who really cares about Manchester and the north and wants to help fight for its future.
You will be joining a clever, funny and mischievous team serving the people that live in the best patches in the country.
This role is home and hub based linked to our Manchester Hub. We are therefore open to candidates based in and around the Greater Manchester area.
What will the role involve?
- Generate exclusive Manchester, Greater Manchester and northern political content and analysis
- Build and maintain a strong network of contacts across the city and wider region
- Tell the stories of how politics and policy impacts on people's lives
- Pick subjects for wider development and analysis
- Be a cheerleader for Greater Manchester people
- Put the audience at the front of the creation of every piece of content
- Run a politics newsletter
- Work closely with Local Democracy and other reporters across the newsroom to ensure our content is of the highest quality
- Have a strong voice on social media
- Understand the Manchester Evening News brand
- Maintain editorial, ethical and legal standards across digital platforms
- Support the continued growth of the Manchester newsroom
- Use audience data, insights and analytics to help inform content decisions
- A flexible approach is required as this position may include evenings and weekends
The Ideal Candidate
Who are we looking for?
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree and knowledge of media law OR a plethora of experience from years served in the industry
- A political writer or editor in a regional or national newsroom
- A strong network of contacts with exceptional judgment
- Have a deep understanding of how politics and the public sector works while understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Strong storytelling skills while being comfortable being the voice of the Manchester Evening News on national and regional media
- Good digital publishing skills - or a willingness to learn with first-class organisational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable, flexible, creative and full of flair with a positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team and to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Energy, drive, determination and self-motivation
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- Help saving for your retirement - join our pension scheme and we'll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days' holiday per year when you join. After three, five and ten years' service with Reach, you'll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Giving back day - an additional day's leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Enhanced family leave - including maternity, paternity and adoption - and you'll be eligible after just six months' employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan - free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
- As one of the UK's top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone's invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support - including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your nearest and dearest, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- Awesome career opportunities - you'll have support from your line manager and a range of learning & development programmes
- We are a member of the 30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management levels