Digitial Sub-editor (Freelance)
PinkNews is the world’s largest and most influential LGBTQ+ media brand, reaching a global audience of more than 60 million unique users per month across our website, socials and app. Our mission is to inform, inspire change and empower people to be themselves. Throughout our 17 year history, we have supported and campaigned for the rights of the LGBTQ+ community, helping to deliver transformative change in the UK and worldwide.
As we continue to grow and diversify our content output we are seeking a Digital Sub-editor to join the team on a freelance basis. We are flexible on working days based on your availability and this is a remote working role.
This is an exciting time to join our team where no two days are the same. We deliver quality journalism and original content across all platforms to a global audience. We are dedicated to achieving global equality for LGBTQ+ people by informing, engaging and empowering our customers through award-winning content, live events and bespoke products and services.
As PinkNews expands on to new platforms and into new territories, we expect our content to deepen our relationship with the tens of millions of people who engage with our content every month as well as establishing relationships with a whole new audience — and our newsroom is central to this mission.
- Ensuring reporters’ copy is sharp, tight, readable, in keeping with house style and produced to the highest standard
- Verifying information and checking facts to confirm story accuracy
- Improving copy by identifying inconsistencies and errors, in both language and content, and working with editors to resolve ambiguous passages
- Ensuring stories do not break any copyright or libel laws
- Writing picture captions, story summaries, alt text and meta descriptions
Key Skills and Experience:
- NCTJ, equivalent journalism degree or minimum of one year of experience working as a sub-editor
- Strong news sense and judgement
- An understanding of SEO best practices
- Sound knowledge of media law
- Organised and, of course, a meticulous eye for detail
- A passion for LGBTQ+ content and a belief in equality for all
We stand for the fundamental rights of the entire LGBTQ+ community and its allies. We acknowledge individual experience and work to represent a diverse and intersectional community.
At PinkNews we work in keeping of our values:
We are INCLUSIVE
We are INNOVATIVE
We have INTEGRITY
We are editorially and commercially INDEPENDENT
Our values shape the way we interact with our team, audience and partners.