i Sport Reporter (Casual) at DMGT London
Location: i Headquarters – London
i is looking for sport reporters and production journalists to come and work across its digital and print products on a freelance basis.
We are looking for talented journalists to provide additional weekday and weekend cover to our sport team. This is an exciting opportunity for journalists to showcase their talent and contribute to i’s exciting growth. You will be passionate about storytelling, able to turn copy around quickly when needed but also taking time for deeper and more detailed work when required. You will be prepared to work on a rota that includes weekends and early and late shifts.
i offers a competitive rate for casual shifts. Other benefits include enrolment into the company’s pension scheme, causal holiday pay on an accrual basis, and statutory sick pay (if eligible).
- Pitch and write sports news stories daily, including detailed explainers and long form reporting.
- Continuously find innovative ways to go beyond straight news reports, while still filing stories to strict deadlines.
- Ability to cover news events effectively and with original takes for digital and print formats.
- Write across a broad range of subjects, from Premier League football to rugby union, cricket, tennis and more.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage. Appreciation for i’s audience and tone, and how to write stories that will appeal to our readers.
- Work with the audience team (including analysts, SEO, social, newsletter and app editors) to ensure that your stories are optimised to reach the widest readership.
- Package your stories with pictures, inline links and video where necessary to create compelling digital storytelling.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working for a major newspaper or news website (preferred)
- A hunger to report on the biggest issues of the day
- Proven ability to build and maintain contacts
- An enquiring and creative mind to go beyond the headlines.
- Able to file clean, accurate copy working to demanding deadlines.
- Experience of working in a cross-platform environment desirable.
- Confident with CMS and digital production.
- Strong team player who is happy to work collaboratively with others.
- Excellent standards of written English.
- NCTJ (or similar) standard qualification.
- Effective and calm under pressure.
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.