Researcher (Endorsement)(12 Month FTC)
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Hybrid working - at present: 5-8 days per month in the office.
Salary: £21,000 - £30,000 based on experience
We're looking for two researchers with an interest in researching a diverse range of consumer markets including money, retail and travel and creating online content to help consumers make good choices in these markets. You'll be joining our large, friendly and diverse Content Research & Analysis team, including award-winning journalists, researchers and market analysts.
The roles will initially be fixed term, with the potential to become permanent in the long run.
Which? is the largest consumer organisation in the UK. Our publications and advocacy have empowered consumers for more than 60 years. But we're also an organisation with an exciting vision for the future. We have an ambitious plan to grow our audience and develop our commercial opportunities, and our new roles will play a big part in this.
What you'll be doing
You'll be working with researchers and other colleagues to do your own in-depth research on existing and new consumer facing services that we want to review. It's a varied role and a typical day could involve:
- In-depth desk-based research or talking to companies or other contacts so we can better understand potential Best Buy products or Which? Recommended Provider services in areas as diverse as car leasing, holiday companies or insurance.
- Scoping out a market or sector we haven't covered before and presenting the results to a researcher.
- Scouring terms and conditions to create a database of the best and worst in a sector.
- Completing a spreadsheet with the results of our reviews promptly and accurately, so our Endorsements team can see potential opportunities for selling licenses to top-performing companies.
- Turning your research into some engaging online writing to get our content out there. This could be an advice guide or some reviews.
- Covering an online news story that needs a fast turnaround.
What we'll need from you
If you're enthusiastic about research, with a great eye for a detail and enjoy writing, you're ready to succeed in this role.
The skills we'll be looking for you to have or develop include:
- Solid analytical and research skills with great attention to detail.
- Numeracy and data analysis skills – you'll need to be comfortable working with data - for example, with using databases such as Excel.
- An interest in and understanding of consumer concerns and how Which?'s reviews - particularly of services - can help.
- Ideally you'll have worked in producing consumer-facing content, but it is more important to have strong enthusiasm to cover this wide and exciting brief.
- Writing skills to translate complex topics into jargon-free and engaging copy for a consumer audience.
- Digital writing experience.
- Ability to manage your own time, juggle multiple short and longer-term projects and monitor the performance of your content on an ongoing basis.
- Good communication skills and ability to make and manage effective contacts, both inside the organisation and externally.
- Experience of working with consumer insights would be beneficial
What we offer
We're all about working with our researchers to make them the best they can be – giving good learning and development opportunities, and from working with experienced colleagues.
Our rewards package is one of the best out there. You'll get 28 days' annual leave, an interest-free season ticket loan, life assurance, and a pension scheme that increases to 11% after you've been here for a year. You'll also get the chance to develop your career, with a big focus on internal development. And you can work every day knowing that you're playing your part in making consumers as powerful as the organisations they deal with.
About the Which? way of life?
We've signed up to the Time to Change employer pledge that protects staff against mental health discrimination. We're also a Stonewall accredited employer.
Let us know what makes you stand out from the crowd by sending us a covering letter and your CV (a covering letter is needed to be considered for this role). If this sounds like your ideal next role, then we want to hear from you. Deadline: Monday 4th July 2022
At Which? we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We want to receive applications from all regardless of age, gender identity, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief, race or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, social economic background etc. We believe that a diverse workforce helps us to understand and create a positive impact for consumers. We want to ensure that everybody can apply and be part of our recruitment processes, and therefore when required we make reasonable adjustments to accommodate our candidates.
We’re committed to making sure our application process is accessible to everyone who would like to apply for any of our vacancies! Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need us to provide an alternative application method to support your accessibility needs.