Direct the daily operation of a Dow Jones printing plant mechanical maintenance department, with respect to meeting the pressroom, mailroom and building equipment requirements necessary to meet customer expectations for reproduction quality, content freshness and productivity, while managing materials consumption cost-effectively. Employ best performance practices, continuous improvement processes/procedures, staff schedules and effective staff development to achieve results.
- Communicate effectively with the technology service manager, press room, mail room and other departments to ensure that mechanical maintenance programs underway at the plant are effective, carried out to achieve the highest level of quality available with today's manufacturing equipment, and are prioritized to address production quality requirements.
- Direct machinist operations in a coordinated effort to assist the press room/mail room managers to continuously improve upon the Production Quality Score, which integrates key performance measures such as reproduction quality, content freshness, productivity, and cost-effective materials consumption.
- Work with the technology services manager ensure that mechanical and electronic/software work is completed as required.
- Work with the maintenance staff to ensure that equipment is maintained in operating condition through preventive maintenance programs and accurate, useful and timely maintenance records.
- Develop and maintains open communication with employees while clearly emphasizing the goals and objectives of the department.
- Actively administer, where applicable, local labor agreements and company management guidelines/policies in coordination with the technology services manager.
- Provide ongoing training and development on all job functions within the machinist or machinist/building department.
- With the technology services manager's oversight, develop and deliver written performance reviews (unless a union contract provides another mechanism or specifically prohibits them) and development plans to the press staff annually. Maintain accurate and timely written records of employee performance and disciplinary issues. Make salary recommendations, where applicable, for the production manager's approval.
- Assist in hiring, training, developing and maintaining a diverse, highly-skilled staff.
- Assist the technology services manager in implementing policies/practices that insure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and company policy regarding equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, regulatory agency safety and environmental requirements.
- Customer and bottom line driven, with strong record of cost-efficient, timely results.
- Strong leadership, initiative, decision-making, staff development, interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills. Excellent organizational and follow-up skills a must.
- Minimum five years supervisory experience in a manufacturing maintenance operation preferably, but not limited to, newspaper or commercial printing operations.
- Excellent knowledge of efficient and proactive maintenance programs in a continuous improvement environment.
- The ability to: diagnose problems quickly and implement remedies that keep production operations functioning; make decisions in a deadline environment.
- Strong mechanical and electrical or electronic expertise.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: PRINT & ENT SVCS - PRINT SERVICES
Job Category: Production Group
Req ID: 33106