Metro.co.uk London, England, United Kingdom On-site
About the job
Are you obsessed with SEO? Are you at home in a busy newsroom with a strong knowledge of current affairs? Do you enjoy predicting what potential readers will be searching for next?
Metro.co.uk is looking for a talented SEO Reporter to join our SEO team to perform in-depth keyword research, optimise content, analyse and predict trends, offer SEO guidance and write engaging content on trending and evergreen topics.
As well as the ability to spot stories that will drive SEO traffic, suitable candidates will have an instinct for predicting what users will be searching for and will be proactive when it comes to suggesting engaging search angles on news stories.
Applicants will also have a keen interest in SEO news and how algorithm changes could affect best practices.
Working with section editors across news, tech, lifestyle, soaps, entertainment, and sport, you will play a key role in shaping the types of stories Metro.co.uk covers as well as supporting long-term strategies around search content and engagement.
Responsibilities will also include compiling daily search keyword lists, updating the diary with well-researched SEO content ideas, occasionally leading shifts, ensuring Google's best practices are adhered to and confidently advising reporters and editors across the site on all things SEO.
Requirements include but are not limited to:
- Best use of analytics tools, specifically Google Trends, both in planning and production
- Understanding how to write strong SEO headlines and how to find a search-friendly angle to a story
- Confident in optimising and nurturing existing site content and offering SEO guidance to reporters on fresh pieces
- Experience writing engaging articles quickly and accurately to deadlines
- Knowledge of current affairs and ability to accurately predict what readers will be searching for next
- Meticulous forward planning skills and the ability to react to breaking news
- Ability to apply existing SEO skills and knowledge to new tasks
- Confidence to advise staff of best optimisation practices
- Willingness to work in a dynamic, fast-paced 24/7 news environment
- Flexibility regarding shift patterns
- Out of hours availability in rare breaking news scenarios and a high level of adaptability are essential
- Understanding of legal covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice
Click Apply now and send us your CV and covering letter