Chief Sub Editor - Homes Hub (Country Living and House Beautiful)
LONDON, United Kingdom
At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join us as our new Chief Sub Editor, Homes Hub (Country Living and House Beautiful), to start the next chapter in your career.
The Homes Hub produces engaging print and digital content for our two market-leading homes interest brands, Country Living and House Beautiful. Our super-talented subbing department is an integral part of the success of these brands, producing factually correct, legally sound features, sparkling copy and eye-catching headlines.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You'll be joining a team of sub editors working on editorial print content for Country Living (the lifestyle brand for anyone whose heart is in the country) and House Beautiful (the go-to guide for modern living and affordable style) helping to ensure all pages are of the best quality and reflect each brand’s core values. You will be editing copy and layouts to the highest standard, with an emphasis on accuracy, tone and legality. You will also support and deputise for the Group Chief Sub Editor.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Group Chief Sub Editor to oversee the Homes Subbing Hub, sending pages to press, approving proofs and managing and mentoring the junior members of the team.
- Ensuring copy and layouts go through the production system as efficiently as possible, liaising with team members to ensure deadlines are met.
- Sub-editing and second-reading pages to a consistently high standard across the two titles, including meticulously checking facts, spelling, grammar and punctuation and giving feedback to junior members of the hub.
- Creating and updating issue flatplans and helping run production meetings.
- Writing headlines, sells, picture captions and subheads, and incorporating editor corrections.
- Obtaining client/writer approval where necessary and liaising with the legal department to ensure all pages are legally sound.
- Subbing one-off projects and presentations from the marketing, advertising and management teams, when necessary.
- Deputising in the Group Chief Sub Editor’s absence.
- Experience as a Chief Sub Editor or as a Deputy Chief-Editor and looking for your next challenge (preferably on a homes or lifestyle brand, although not essential).
- Knowledge of InDesign and CMS (Censhare preferable).
- An ability to work accurately under pressure and prioritise, while meeting multiple deadlines and being aware of the schedule.
- Sound legal knowledge.
- An understanding of Country Living and House Beautiful’s different – and unique – tones of voice is preferable.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days) – pro rated for part-time or fixed-term employees
- Hybrid working model – 2 days per week in the office
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.