HuffPost is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, Inc.
As part of our esteemed news organization, HuffPost is a leading source of award-winning news and commentary for the most diverse and connected generation ever— with reporting spanning across politics, lifestyle, entertainment and more. HuffPost believes in putting people before power and telling the stories that too often go unheard, from the voices that matter.
HuffPost UK is seeking an energetic and socially-focused Lifestyle Trends Reporter to work with our Life team to report on the day’s most compelling lifestyle stories. The role will be two days a week, working remotely or in our offices in London Bridge.
With a record of bringing articles to life with flair, intelligence and imagination, you’ll thrive at telling stories about the broad range of subjects our Life team covers, such as: sex and relationships, identity, health and wellbeing, work and money.
Producing stories that are read at scale, the reporter’s journalism will be responsive to what is happening culturally, on social media, and in the news. You should be comfortable and experienced with turning around accurate and timely stories quickly and efficiently.
You will also have confidence and experience in evaluating sources and framing stories that fit HuffPost standards. Writing a great headline, matching it with compelling images, and working across multiple publishing platforms is part of the job. Experience with social publishing and SEO is a must.
The right candidate should be prepared to work collaboratively with HuffPost UK’s Life reporters and editors, as well as the newsroom and data team at large.
You should be able to talk confidently about what topics resonate with our readers and make decisions that are informed jointly by your editorial experience and a firm understanding of audience data.
- Produce multiple lifestyle stories a day that bring big audiences to HuffPost UK
- Write engaging headlines that appeal to both audiences in social and search
- Use audience and data tools to understand which topics resonate on which platform
- Contribute ideas to planning meetings and share learning with the wider team
- Be comfortable chipping in with homepage management and content distribution
- Work to a daily rota, which may include 7-3pm, 8-5pm or 10-6pm shifts.
- Keep informed on the latest social trends and have the ability to adapt accordingly.
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth and joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen and interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company.
- A keen sense of how to make stories compelling using images, headlines, and other elements
- A proven understanding of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and knowledge of SEO
- Terrific communication skills and ability to collaborate with teams across the newsroom
- A willingness to experiment and be interested in analysing the results of our work
- Excellent news judgement – knowing when a story matters, when it doesn’t – and why
- A sound understanding of how to use data to inform journalism
- Experience working in a fast-paced digital newsroom
- A sense of humour and the ability to approach stories with playfulness when needed.
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.