Metro.co.uk is looking for a talented journalist to join its digital Sports team.
Suitable candidates will be experienced online reporters with an impressive track record of finding and breaking stories of national and global interest.
The role involves writing and building news stories, features and minute-by-minute live blogs for Metro.co.uk Sport.
Whether you are a regional sports reporter or editor ready to make the step up or someone already involved in major newspaper brands, this is an exciting time with a lot of change happening and an opportunity to make your mark.
• Ability to deliver vibrant, clean copy to very tight deadlines
• Ability to work self-sufficiently and generate fresh ideas for this office-based web production role
• Ability to generate own news stories and write strong deadlines
• Ability to have keen eye for photographs and use the best images and videos to help a story drive traffic
• Ability to use social media for both story ideas and as a way of generating traffic
• Ability to use content management systems and image libraries
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with key media contacts to generate a steady flow of stories
• Ability to interview key persons (witnesses, sources etc.) to obtain more information and investigate news leads
• Ability to retain awareness of the Daily Mail style of writing
• Strong knowledge of football, boxing, F1, UFC, tennis, golf, rugby and cricket
• Must have NCTJ qualification, Bachelor degree or higher qualification
• Must have solid newspaper, magazine or news website experience
• Must have the ability to gather information and create compelling digital content
• Must work productively within a team environment
• Must have an understanding of legal covenants and an understanding of copyright
• Must have strong communication and people skills
• Must be flexible regarding shift patterns (including weekends and nights)
• Not essential but preferred Knowledge of Spanish, German, Italian or French would be beneficial.
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability are essential.
Please apply by sending an up-to-date CV, a note about yourself, and examples of your work.
Any applications received without a CV will not be considered.