Newsweek is seeking a Life and Trends reporter to join our digital team.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced reporter who is proactive at sourcing original stories and identifying conversations on the internet. They will know what appeals to a U.S. audience and be able to spot a viral story early.
They will use primary sources for research and obtain expert comment to supplement their reporting. They will turn in clean and accurate copy to deadline.
The reporter will cover trending and lifestyle topics including: relationships; pets; parenting; home; gardening; personal finance; weddings; health; and more.
Reporters with an interest/experience in certain areas of lifestyle should make this clear in their cover letter.
The reporter’s time will be divided between the evolving news agenda, forward planning for events and evergreen features.
The candidate will be responsible for ensuring high-quality coverage that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
You will have the ability to work from your home address anywhere in the UK and Ireland.
- Scour multiple social media for stories and emerging trends.
- Pitch and write several news stories each day based on search and trends.
- Research and write original stories and features
- Check facts and sources and ensure content is of the highest possible standard
- Work with editors to ensure your work meets house style
- Experience in a reporting role for a reputable organization.
- Experience covering lifestyle topics.
- Excellent knowledge and insight of what is popular with a U.S. audience.
- The ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Creative thinking to approach topics from new angles and tell stories in new ways.
- Knowledge of Google Trends and other analysis/planning tools.
- Experience with internal link-building and other SEO tasks.