Do you look at the world and think things could be better? Would you like to spend your days writing about the organisations and individuals who are trying to bring about that change?
Third Sector, the UK’s leading title for the voluntary and not-for-profit sector, is seeking a multimedia editor to join its tight-knit team.
Our readers are senior managers in charities: the chief executives, the fundraisers, the comms managers and the change-makers in government and local communities.
Taking on an exciting new role for the brand, your key responsibility will be to tell their stories via Third Sector’s popular weekly podcast and a diverse range of digital formats
Third Sector’s multimedia reporter will play a key role in developing new digital projects for the brand, across data journalism, audio and video.
They will be responsible for the delivery of Third Sector’s weekly podcast; writing scripts, sourcing guests and working closely with our producer to create high-quality episodes.
They will also deliver in-depth reporting and analysis, including commissioning and editing stories and sending bulletins.
The multimedia reporter will report to the editor.
- Deliver Third Sector’s weekly podcast: writing scripts, liaising with external guests and managing studio time and preparing episodes for publication in partnership with the title’s producer.
- Present the Third Sector Podcast on a weekly basis alongside a co-host.
- Work with marketing teams to grow the podcast audience and devise future strategies for the channel.
- Devise and lead on new digital projects to grow Third Sector’s subscription offering across audio, video and data channels.
- Pitch, research and write long-form stories, analysis and feature articles for Third Sector online.
- Ensure Third Sector maintains its position as the leading provider of charity sector news and analysis. Create, edit and send designated news and specialist email bulletins.
- Monitor national media and other competitors for relevant stories.
- Maintain a comprehensive forward news diary and planning list in consultation with other members of the editorial team.
- Make recommendations for articles and alert colleagues if they believe something may be relevant for their sections.
- Support the development of live and virtual events, and chair and speak as and when required.
- Maintain the highest standards of accuracy and reporting.
- Maintain high standards of general behaviour, appearance and professionalism.
- At least three years’ experience in journalism working on websites, newspapers or magazines.
- Experience of, or a great enthusiasm for, podcasting, and confidence to work in a hosting capacity.
- Experience or enthusiasm for video reporting or working with a video format. Experience of writing news, analysis and feature articles to the highest standards.
- Experience of building and navigating spreadsheets to draw out and analyse figures and data trends.
Skills and attributes
- Enthusiasm for, and a good understanding of, the role of online journalism.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Understanding of data-led journalism and proficient in Excel or similar.
- Good understanding of media law.
- Knowledge of, or desire to know more about, the charity sector
- A willingness to travel and work outside standard office hours.
- A willingness to embrace new, emerging forms of journalism.
Haymarket is a successful international specialist media company. We have over 60 market-leading brands in the consumer and B2B markets across the UK, US, Asia, India and Germany, connecting people and communities across digital, print, festivals, awards, conferences, and exhibitions.
To find out more check out our website by clicking here.
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. Haymarket is a media, information and data business, we use our expertise in media and information to inspire, inform and empower our clients, audiences and communities. We are a socially and environmentally responsible business. As we serve our audiences, clients and communities, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of our business.
We’re hard-wired to produce remarkable content for our audiences, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Our conveniently located Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees with a vast array of careers from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management.
As well as being the home of English rugby, Twickenham has the benefit of being less than 30 minutes from central London but also enjoying its riverside location, proximity to Richmond Park and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands, and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in our extra-curricular activities too; from volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunch-time riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park or after work fun!
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and a fabulous income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.