We are seeking a full-time News Editor (US) to work and manage news reporter(s) on a later shift starting at midday through to the evening for the London News team while working alongside the US News team.
Reporting to the Senior News Editor, you will be a digital native aware of the latest internet trends and conversations. You will have extensive experience covering all aspects of U.S. news, from politics to culture to sport.
You will be familiar with responding to both breaking news and commissioning and overseeing originals and exclusives.
You will also be expected to spearhead Newsweek’s U.S. news coverage and edit reporters’ copy to a high standard. You will show sound editorial judgment and a comprehensive understanding of media law.
You will be responsible for ensuring high-quality coverage that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
Starting midday through to the evening, you will be running a later shift for the London News team while working alongside the US News team.
Place of Work:
Our office is based in London but you will have the ability to work from home anywhere in the UK.
- Commission and edit stories
- React to breaking news
- Scour multiple social media for stories and emerging trends
- Assign and oversee original stories and exclusives
- Check facts and sources and ensure content is of the highest possible standard
- Oversee live blogs and ensure they are kept up to date
- Support the senior news editor on new projects
- Lead the team on weekdays and weekends when required
- Experience in an editing role for a reputable organization
- Familiarity covering U.S. news and trends
- Experience of various social media platforms
- Detailed knowledge of SEO
- Capable of working to tight deadlines
- Must be able to work flexible hours
- Professional and productive under pressure