At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join us as a Picture Researcher on Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar in an environment that is a changing and adapting to new editorial directions across the magazines.
We’re the UK’s leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar. We’ve created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We’ll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Picture Researcher’s role is key to supporting the busy Luxury hub and providing support to the Picture/Production team of Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar. They will ensure efficient workflow across multiple print issues and broad content requests for these three Luxury brands.
- On-brand picture research and image call-ins for all print outlets, including brand extensions, commercial, PR and syndication requests.
- Liaising with photographers, agencies, galleries, prs and other contributors, with the aim of sourcing the highest level of visuals that fit with the luxury brands identity.
- Dealing with image rights and usage on international content, liaising with contacts to maintain steady workflow.
- Negotiate with the contributors on usage, fees in the most cost-effective way & securing high-res images whilst updating budget spreadsheets.
- Ensuring copyright of images is cleared and permissions are granted for the appropriate usage.
- Maintaining constant communication with wider art, subs and picture/production teams regarding the imagery to ensure smooth workflow process for layouts.
- Ensuring all images are high-res and ready for print at the required image size before going to press.
- Processing invoices and liaising with the finance department regarding unpaid invoices and payment queries.
- Assist with pre-shoot production where required, including sourcing props, scouting for locations, setting up call sheets and organising cars, couriers and travel as directed.
- Assist with on-set production where required, including attending shoots and providing necessary support to the team.
- Assist with discovering new creative talent for research and production, including photographers, illustrators, artists, visual bloggers, hair and make-up relevant to each brand.
- Skilled at picture research
- Knowledge of shoot production
- Knowledge of budgeting and invoicing
- An understanding of print / digital image workflows and image quality
- An understanding of image copyright
- Strong creative ideas
- Previous experience on a consumer publication
- Knowledge of Photoshop and Censhare or similar asset and workflow management systems
- The ability to juggle a busy workload
- To identify and prioritise urgent tasks
- The ability to work within a team and independently with little supervision
- A keen eye for detail
- A good understanding of brands and their relationship to editorial and commercial
- Knowledge of Microsoft office applications
- Have a media/art/photography related qualification or equivalent
WHAT WE OFFER:
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days) – pro-rated for part-time or fixed-term employees
- Hybrid working model – 2 days per week in the office
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.