Assistant Photo Editor, WSJ. Magazine
Locations: NYC - 1211 Ave of the Americas
WSJ. Magazine is looking for a full time Assistant Photo Editor to join our team. Responsibilities include photo department administration, basic production of shoots, extensive photo research for print and digital, management of shoot budgets and accounting, developing and maintaining a network and knowledge base of photographers, galleries and agents. The ideal candidate will have a passion for photography, magazines, fine art, design and current events. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are essential as well as an eye for detail and grace under pressure and deadlines.
- General departmental administrative work
- Preparing and sending out social media packages when stories publish online
- Sending out issues to contributors the week of the magazine’s release
- Photo research for print and digital
- Creating photographer and stylist pdfs
- Entering annual photo competitions
- Maintaining credit docs and inputting gutters for all front-of-the-book stories
- Maintaining the photo production calendar and sending out shoot notices
- Updating the photo and larger magazine lineups
- Coordinate in-house studio shoots
- Uploading edits to server, creating edit folders, marking selects on server, etc.
- Booking travel for photo/style teams
- Assisting with shoot production—optioning HMU, studios, etc.
- Identifying new talent and sharing with team
- Pitching photographer ideas for shoots
- Producing shoots, as needed
- Management of budgets for shoots
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of photography
- Strong visual sensibility
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in a magazine (or similar platform) photo department
- Photo research experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Bridge)
- Proficiency in Google Drive
- Bachelor's Degree
Candidates must be based in New York and will report to the Photo Director of WSJ. Magazine.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter.
The Journal’s reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Reasonable accommodation: Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line and provide a brief description of the type of assistance you need. This inbox will not be monitored for application status updates.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Editorial/Journalism
Union Status: Union role
Pay Range: $40,000 - $160,000
We recognize that attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. As a result, we aim for flexibility in structuring competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to attract the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents our good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, and we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate's experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills, and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview process.
Pay-for-performance is a key element in our strategy to attract, engage, and motivate talented people to do their best work. Similarly to salary, for bonus eligible roles, targets are set based on a variety of factors including competitive market practice.
For benefits eligible roles, in addition to cash compensation, the company provides a comprehensive and highly competitive benefits package, with a variety of physical health, retirement and savings, caregiving, emotional wellbeing, transportation, and other benefits, including "elective" benefits employees may select to best fit the needs and personal situations of our diverse workforce..