Live Sports Reporter
Location: i Headquarters – London, W8 5HY
Position: 6 month FTC
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan 4x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits…
i is seeking an experienced reporter to drive the sports news agenda with engaging content that adheres to the high standards of our growing output.
The role is a critical one at the heart of i’s busy sports operation and requires a multi-tasker with good news judgement, a talent for finding new angles on breaking stories, and possessing excellent writing skills. The right candidate will be analytically informed, target-driven, proactive on social media, have a track record of being a reliable self-starter bursting with ideas, and experience in covering stories quickly and well.
- Fast response to breaking sports stories
- Coverage of major sports as set out in i’s content plan
- Publishing digital-first content to relevant platforms
- Providing relevant content for newsletters
- Supporting social media activity
- Supporting the digital production rota seven days a week, organising and publishing content as required by the publishing schedule
- Live blogging when required
- A flexible and tenacious self-starter
- Desire to be the first to publish
- Driven by audience performance and data results
- Strong news judgement – and an ability to spot new angles and take stories on
- Ability to take direction, advice, feedback and to be a team player
- A strong understanding of the sports agenda at home and internationally, and the ability to tackle it in a creative and original manner
- Able to understand and react to digital analytics
- Ability to create fast and accurate multimedia content
- Understanding of SEO and how to use social media to promote stories
- Strong writing skills
Overall pageview growth, particularly subscriber pageviews
Two years’ experience on a national or major regional sports desk, agency or website
Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
At 12 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, i has been named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards).
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.