Money and Business Reporter, temp/contract
Location: i Headquarters – London, W8 5HY
Position: Temporary/shift work OR 6 month FTC
i is looking for a Money Reporter with a drive to break exclusive news and experience of writing about complicated subjects simply and interviewing people to bring dry stories to life. The role will be reporting daily on consumer money, personal finance and some business news stories predominantly for inews.co.uk’s growing digital audience. You will also be given opportunities to write for the i’s print edition. You will be part of the four-strong business and money desks team and will have responsibility for writing a broad range of personal finance news, explainers, features and interviews. Previous personal finance reporting is preferred, with the ideal candidate having either a minimum two years’ experience in a similar role at a national news outlet or relevant experience on a financial trade title.
A full NCTJ qualification is preferred, although applicants who can demonstrate knowledge and experience of writing to a high standard within the personal finance beat are encouraged to apply. This is a great opportunity for a reporter to make a move up the ladder and join a thriving publishing operation at an exciting time in its development.
- Pitch and write news stories daily
- Think of innovative ways to go beyond straight news reports, while still filing stories to strict deadlines
- Ability to cover news events effectively for digital and print formats
- Write quickly and accurately
- Write across personal finance beats; broad experience preferred but there will also be opportunities to learn new patches
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage. Appreciation for i’s audience and tone, and how to write stories that will appeal to our readers
- Work with the audience team (including analysts, SEO, social, newsletter and app editors) to ensure that your stories are optimised to reach the widest readership
- Package your stories with pictures, inline links and video where necessary to create compelling digital storytelling
- Experience working in a digital breaking news environment
- A hunger to report on the world of personal finance, bringing it to life for our readers
- An enquiring and creative mind to go beyond the headlines
- Able to file clean, accurate copy working to demanding deadlines
- Experience of working in a cross-platform environment desirable
- Confident with CMS and digital production
- Strong team player who is happy work collaboratively with others
- Excellent standards of written English
- NCTJ (or similar) standard qualification
- Effective and calm under pressure
With your application, please include three story pitches you would want to cover in this role.
i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, i has been named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards).
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.