Health Care Reporter (Brussels)
POLITICO is looking for a policy reporter to cover health care in Europe.
As part of our growing newsroom, you’ll have the chance to cover a major regulatory battle as the pharmaceutical industry fights back against an EU proposal that would seriously dent its profits – and, it claims, its ability to compete with rivals in the U.S. and China.
This is a diverse beat that touches on health tech and global health stories alongside the technicalities of medicines regulation.
Working with three other reporters, you’ll share responsibility for producing an engaging morning newsletter for our POLITICO Pro subscribers, as well as live news updates throughout the day. You’ll pitch stories to the Health Care Editor for both subscribers and for our free website and print edition.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to understand a complex and technical beat, and have a track record of rigorous reporting, source-building and scoops. They should instinctively be a team player, with an understanding of how policy is made and influenced by people within governments, lobby groups and industry.
This is a full-time role based in our Brussels newsroom.
What You’ll Do
- Anchor the daily health care newsletter on a rota with other reporters
- Monitor breaking news developments and provide fast, accurate coverage
- Build a broad network of sources and deliver scoops
- Produce longer stories on your own initiative
- Work closely with colleagues, including those on other beats
- Occasionally work outside normal hours when the news agenda demands it
What You’ll Need
- At least two years’ newsroom experience
- In-depth knowledge of EU policymaking process
- Experience covering health care, pharmaceuticals and science a strong plus
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Other European languages are a plus
We Value Our People
Our benefits package is built for you, and includes:
- Hybrid work: Whether you love company and enjoy collaborating with colleagues in person or want some time alone at home to get some deep work done.
- Work from abroad days: Fancy a workday from atop a mountain resort, or want to work from your parent’s dining room table around the holidays? POLITICO offers the opportunity to work from abroad for a limited period each year.
- Health and Wellness: Across the different cities where we have offices, we offer various initiatives that contribute to your well-being.
- Transportation: Say goodbye to traffic jams and hello to smooth commutes. POLITICO partially covers public transportation costs.
- Personal and Professional Growth: From dedicated trainings to regular career chats, with our Grow@POLITICO program, we put your professional development and growth first.
POLITICO is a global news and information company at the intersection of politics and policy. It is the essential online, mobile and print destination for the most influential people in the world. With publications based in Washington, D.C., New York, London, and Brussels, POLITICO boasts an enormous roster of the most talented reporters and editors in the world.
It is POLITICO's policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin, gender, age or any other characteristic protected by local laws and regulations.
Application Instructions & Further Details
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a CV and motivation letter in English outlining why you’re right for this role.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: JOB TITLE. Please apply, however, via the online form.
Employment level: Full-time
Type of role: Specialists
Job ID: 00435