The Night News Editor is responsible for daily news coverage for the Telegraph website and newspaper during late shifts.
You will work as part of the newsdesk team to ensure coverage of stories is of the highest quality, including identifying stories which we should be reporting on and responding to breaking news.
- Responsible for identifying, commissioning and editing stories for the website and newspaper.
- Manages reporters and runs the newsdesk and news section of the website in the absence of the news editor.
- Liaises with the editor and other senior editorial staff over late breaking stories.
- Creates a plan to help morning newsdesk staff begin the day online.
- Responsible for news and foreign content during late shifts, including making decisions about late changes to the newspaper.
- Pitches stories to the news editor, and once confident in the role to the editor and other senior editorial staff at the late conference.
- Previous experience of news editing, with the ability to recognise and prioritise news stories.
- Excellent knowledge of current affairs.
- Experience of working to tight daily deadlines.
- Be familiar with and have experience of digital storytelling techniques, online publishing and SEO.
- Have a good working understanding of social media channels.
- Able to work well in a team, be flexible and reactive.
- Confident expressing views, but able to see others’ points of view and respond positively to feedback.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Level 3 Disability Confident Leader as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.