Mobility Reporter (Brussels)
POLITICO Europe is seeking a policy reporter to join our mobility team, a hot beat covering everything from cars to airplanes and trucks that brings in elements of high politics, complex policy and everyday life.
The successful candidate must be able to grapple with technical files such as charging infrastructure, logistics and shipping, as well as more consumer-facing topics including the transition to electric vehicles, aviation and micromobility.
We’re looking for a journalist who can nurture a network of sources to deliver scoops on key policy areas, as well as being a fluent writer able to dig into the political implications of issues like the race to build a better car battery.
You’ll be jointly responsible for producing an engaging morning newsletter and live news updates throughout the day for our Pro subscribers. You’ll also pitch initiative stories to the mobility editor, both for subscribers and for our free website – writing for an expert audience as well as the broader public.
Mobility is a topic that overlaps with other coverage areas, so you’ll need to demonstrate an ability to work with colleagues both within and beyond your immediate team. You must also have a strong track record of rigorous reporting, source-building and scoops.
This is a full-time role based in our Brussels newsroom.
What You’ll Do
- Anchor the daily mobility newsletter on a rota with other reporters
- Monitor breaking news developments and provide fast, accurate coverage
- Build a broad network of sources and deliver scoops
- Produce longer stories on your own initiative
- Work closely with colleagues, including those on other beats
What You’ll Need
- At least two years’ newsroom experience
- Knowledge of EU politics and policy
- Demonstrable interest in mobility policy
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Other European languages are a plus
We Value Our People
Our benefits package is built for you, and includes:
- Hybrid work: Whether you love company and enjoy collaborating with colleagues in person or want some time alone at home to get some deep work done.
- Work from abroad days: Fancy a workday from atop a mountain resort, or want to work from your parent’s dining room table around the holidays? POLITICO offers the opportunity to work from abroad for a limited period each year.
- Health and Wellness: Across the different cities where we have offices, we offer various initiatives that contribute to your well-being.
- Transportation: Say goodbye to traffic jams and hello to smooth commutes. POLITICO partially covers public transportation costs.
- Personal and Professional Growth: From dedicated trainings to regular career chats, with our Grow@POLITICO program, we put your professional development and growth first.
POLITICO is a global news and information company at the intersection of politics and policy. It is the essential online, mobile and print destination for the most influential people in the world. With publications based in Washington, D.C., New York, London, and Brussels, POLITICO boasts an enormous roster of the most talented reporters and editors in the world.
It is POLITICO's policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin, gender, age or any other characteristic protected by local laws and regulations.
Application Instructions & Further Details
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a CV and motivation letter in English outlining why you’re right for this role.
Questions? Contact email@example.com with the subject line: Mobility Reporter (Brussels). Please apply, however, via the online form.
Please send your application by Monday, 10th of December 2023.
Employment level: Full-time
Type of role: Specialists