Role purpose and overview
As a key member of the Sports commissioning team you will be working across features, live output, news and opinion in a digital-first capacity, across a seven-day rota.
- Planning, commissioning and editing sports features, interviews, special reports and investigations
- Work as part of a seven day rota to include news editing and live editing shifts, including some evenings and weekends.
- Working with Sports Editors to ensure the Telegraph digital and print products set the agenda, as well as generating ideas for original and compelling features, analysis and opinion to keep us ahead of the game.
- Speaking to and working with reporters on content, helping to shape the agenda and get the best out of our resources.
- Work with our visual storytelling team on new ways to showcase and present our journalism, putting innovation at the heart of what we do.
- Helping to drive subscriptions and engagement via the Telegraph website and app.
- Proven experience of editing and commissioning at a national level, preferably on a Sport desk.
- Experience of regular and fast-paced communication with reporters.
- Strong planning skills - experience of planning sports coverage across multiple platforms and in a digital first environment.
- Able to respond well under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Broad knowledge of a wide variety of men’s and women’s sport.
- Understanding of social media and data.
- Knowledge and understanding of The Telegraph’s subscription strategy.
- Strong news sense and a broad contacts book is desirable.
- Experience of generating exclusive, original content including original investigations and off-diary content is desirable.
- Experience of managing digital platforms would also be advantageous.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Level 3 Disability Confident Leader as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.