Newsweek is seeking a full-time Food and Nutrition Reporter to join our London team.
The ideal candidate will have detailed knowledge of the food and nutrition industries as well as the wider nutritional science field, be able to easily pull news lines out of dense published studies, spot the latest related trends before any of our competitors, a contact book full of experts, industry leaders and influencers across these areas, plus a skillful approach to writing engaging stories for an American audience.
A strong understanding of what elevates a standard food or nutrition story for our discerning audience and ability to separate fads from facts with authority while always approaching sensitive topics with empathy and objectivity is highly valued for this role.
The Food and Nutrition Reporter will be able to research, source, pitch, and write several stories each day – including breaking news, original news and exclusives – plus file interviews and features each week. They will obtain source and expert comments, and use authoritative primary sources. They will produce vibrant, concise and clean copy to deadline.
The successful candidate will have several years of journalistic experience in a related area at a reputable organization. They will have a strong understanding of digital journalism and the needs of a fast-paced newsroom. They will be adept at monitoring social media, Google Trends and other news-gathering tools to find and identify stories and topics of interest to a U.S. audience.
Topics expected to be covered include, but are not limited to: food, nutrition, nutritional science, health, mental health, fitness, wellbeing, and related topics.
Working hours: This is a full-time role, working 5 days a week.
Place of Work: Our office is based in London but you will have the ability to work from home anywhere in the UK.
- Research, source, pitch, and write several stories each day.
- Research and write original features on a weekly basis.
- Scour multiple social media platforms for stories and emerging trends.
- Check facts and sources and ensure content is of the highest possible standard.
- Work with editors to ensure your work meets house style.
- Ensure that all stories published conform to Newsweek’s expected standards.
- Assist with forward planning.
- Ensure Newsweek delivers high-quality reporting that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as necessary to meet the needs of the business.
- Several years of experience reporting and writing at a reputable publication.
- Organization and planning skills.
- Writing and copy-editing skills.
- SEO and online journalism skills.
- Familiarity covering U.S. news and trends
- Familiarity with using social media, Google Trends and other news discovery tools to find stories.
- Capable of working to tight deadlines