Role purpose and overview
The Money team is looking for a talented chief reporter to lead our news reporting team. The ideal candidate will be able to find and write stories strong enough to splash the paper. They will be full of ideas and have a strong news sense. The role would suit an experienced news reporter who is ready to step up and specialise on a broad patch that covers everything from policy exclusives to gritty investigations, data analysis and light-hearted consumer stories.
- Generating exclusive and agenda-setting news stories
- Developing original and compelling ideas and creative ways to present them - which could include graphics, calculators, video, polls etc
- Spotting stories or digital projects from raw numbers
- Working collaboratively with colleagues on other desks where appropriate
Essential skills required for the role
- Excellent, accurate writing across a range of formats
- Experience of working in a national newspaper newsroom
- Experience of writing and developing stories for digital and print
- An ability to explain and convey complex subjects clearly and comprehensively
- Knowledge of relevant data sources
- Enthusiasm, energy and ability to be part of our happy and successful team
- An ability to show initiative and work well under pressure
Additional skills useful for the role
- A network of contacts across the spectrum of core personal finance topics including mortgages and property finance, investing, tax, pensions, banking and insurance
- Knowledge and experience of a particular personal finance beat
- Confidence and creativity with headlines, standfirst, pictures, graphics, polls etc
- An understanding of the Telegraph audience and ideas for how to reach new readers
- Experience using InCopy and/or InDesign
- Editing and/or publishing experience
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.