East Midlands Reporter
Department: News Editorial
Job Type: Full time
Contract Type: Permanent
We are looking for a high-quality reporter to join our news reporting team covering the East Midlands
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly-respected team with a reputation for speed and accuracy that is second to none.
PA Media is the UK’s national news agency, supplying 24/7 journalism to every newsroom in the country. It sits at the heart of the PA Media Group which is now a portfolio of diversified news and information companies encompassing a large data division, the picture agency Alamy and the streaming service StreamAMG, among others.
What you will be doing …
- Based in East Midlands, you will report on all aspects of the region for a national audience, whether court cases, politics, human interest or your own exclusives
- Producing accurate, fast, impartial and clearly written copy in line with the PA news agency’s core standards
- Working closely with the photography and video journalist on the patch and taking stills and shooting video where required
- Using social media to source exclusive and breaking news stories
- Developing contacts, in politics, the courts or the wider community
- Working with other reporters across the north and helping to cover their patch if required
- Working closely with PA customers, whether local or national
What you’ll need …
- Extensive experience of reporting – ideally to agency/daily newspaper level.
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and an interest in politics
- Minimum 100wpm shorthand
- To be able work under pressure
- An NCTJ or equivalent qualification
- The ability to verify and source social media material
- A driving licence – the patch is large and long journeys may be necessary.
What we offer …
- 5 weeks holiday in addition to 8 public holidays (pro-rated for part time employees)
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Enhanced pay for maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Cycle 2 work scheme
- Company Pension (4x and matched by us)
- Life Assurance (4x salary)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Wellbeing Day
- BUPA Health Cash Plan
We’re working hard to ensure we provide an inclusive environment and as well as your skills and experience we’re also focused on who you are and what else you can bring.
We recognise the importance of a healthy work life balance and positively encourage agile working.
We are always open to discuss an individual’s flexible working needs so please speak to us during the recruitment process to understand what this could look like for you. Typically, our standard arrangement involves working from home for one or two days per week.
We will do everything we can to support you during your application, if you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
What happens next?
Every candidate will receive a reply on the status of your application and successful applicants will be invited to a face-to-face or MS Teams interview.
PA Media Group & PA Media
PA Media is the leading multimedia content provider and national news agency offering unrivalled content and digital media services.
As home to the national news agency of the UK and Ireland, PA Media proudly takes its place at the heart of the UK media news providing a continuous feed of text, pictures, video and data into newsrooms around the country.
Alongside our core national news agency operation, PA Media also supplies a wide range of content and editorial services ranging from international sports data, comprehensive entertainment guides and photo syndication to editorial and media training. We work with customers across the media industry including national and regional newspapers, magazines, TV and radio broadcasters and digital platforms.
PA Media Group Values:
PA Media Group is committed to inspiring a positive culture and a work environment of Collaboration, Accountability, Integrity and Respect.
We’re building and promoting a culture where difference is valued & everyone can be the best version of themselves and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or whether or not they have a disability.