Location: Royal Courts of Justice
Department: News Editorial
Job Type: Full time
Contract Type: Permanent
We are looking for a Law Reporter to contribute to PA’s first-class written coverage of the Royal Courts of Justice and the Supreme Court.
PA Media Group is a diverse portfolio of specialist media companies spanning news & information, data, technology, marketing and communications. Our flagship brand, PA Media, is the national news agency for the UK and Ireland.
The company provides customers across the media, sport, corporate, betting and public sectors with the broadest range of content, products and services to inform and entertain their audiences.
About the role.
The successful candidate will be part of a small team in one of the most high-profile and demanding specialisms at the national news agency. This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly-respected news reporting organisation with a reputation for speed and accuracy that is second to none.
What you will be doing.
- You will be producing accurate, fast, impartial and clearly written copy in line with the PA news agency’s core standards
- Experience of covering UK court cases is essential. High Court, appeal court and Supreme Court level experience is desirable.
- You will also be confident making written and verbal legal arguments while challenging reporting restrictions
- You will be responsible for digging out off-beat stories from the many hearings and written judgments handed down at the courts
- Working as part of a team with fellow general reporters and our specialist correspondents when stories cross into the higher courts
- Planning coverage to ensure customers, whether local or national, know what cases of significance are coming up
What you’ll need.
- Extensive experience of reporting to agency/daily newspaper level
- A strong understanding of media law
- Minimum 100wpm shorthand
- To be able to work under pressure
- An NCTJ or equivalent qualification
What we can offer you.
- 5 weeks holiday in addition to 8 public holidays (pro-rated for part time employees)
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- 4% Company Pension contributions
- Wellbeing Day
- Life Assurance
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle 2 work scheme
- Employee Assistance Program
- BUPA health cash plan
- Learning and Development Opportunities
We’re working hard to ensure we provide an inclusive environment and as well as your skills and experience we’re also focused on who you are and what else you can bring.
We recognise the importance of a healthy work life balance and positively encourage agile working.
We are always open to discuss an individual’s flexible working needs so please speak to us during the recruitment process to understand what this could look like for you. Typically, our standard arrangement involves working from home for one or two days per week.
We will do everything we can to support you during your application, if you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
PA Media Group Values:
PA Media Group is committed to inspiring a positive culture and a work environment of Openness, Honesty and Transparency. We are owned by PA Group, the leading content and data business and align with their values of Collaboration, Accountability, Integrity and Respect.
We’re building and promoting a culture where difference is valued and everyone can be the best version of themselves and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status or whether or not they have a disability.