Assistant Opinion Editor
Location: i Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is recruiting an Assistant Opinion Editor to join our growing newsroom. The successful candidate will play a key role in expanding opinion coverage across i's digital and print editions, with a focus on finding brilliant new voices and commissioning unique, in-depth columns to entertain our growing subscriber audience. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious team at a key moment in i’s growth.
Key areas of Responsibility
Working with editors and audience specialists to publish brilliant opinion journalism with impact
Finding and developing new voices to expand i's digital reach and entertain our growing subscriber base
Developing contacts with high profile writers and agents to help expand I's stable of columnists
Commissioning daily opinion pieces, editing copy and liaising with other editors in the newsroom
Co-ordinating forward planning to ensure the strongest possible line-up for major events
Using data intelligently to commission pieces that will resonate with i's digital audience
Skills and experience
- Strong track record of commissioning impactful content across multiple platforms
- Experience editing and commissioning to tight deadlines
- Excellent contacts book of writers and high-profile figures, as well as ideas for new and diverse voices
- Sharp copy-editing ability, with a knack for spotting great angles and headlines
- Collegiate and effective communication skills, with the confidence to liaise diplomatically with newsroom colleagues
- Good judgment, with the ability to react quickly and confidently to rapidly developing news events
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice
Launched in 2010, i is Britain's youngest national news publisher delivering trusted, non-partisan public interest reporting. Through deep reporting, incisive commentary and must-read lifestyle journalism, i built a strong digital subscriber audience , grown its reach to over 11m users a month and broken some of the biggest scoops in UK journalism – while maintaining a healthy print circulation. Growing in influence and profitable, i is shortlisted for news website and national newspaper in the 2024 Press Awards, and is a recent winner of Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards).
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.