Tes is an international provider of digital solutions, which is passionate about using technology to make life easier for schools and teachers. All products and services are built with teachers and schools needs at the core, ensuring they are innovative, trusted education solutions.
Tes, the biggest and most well-read publication for schools, is looking for a Senior Writer to join its award-winning editorial team. As a senior writer you will play an integral role in delivering high-quality content for Tes Magazine.
You will write long-form features and investigations, high-profile interviews with key individuals in the education sector, quick insights on new policy announcements, and detailed breakdowns of government initiatives.
The role will require working on numerous pieces of content of varying lengths and complexity at any one time, ensuring they are delivered to brief and to deadline, and that they meet the high journalistic standards that our magazine always delivers.
You will be expected to work proactively to source ideas for articles, manage your time constructively and build up a wide range of expert contacts to call on whenever required – from education leaders to policy experts.
The role will also require using data such as exam results, school census data and attendance information.
We are looking for someone with a strong portfolio of writing on newspapers or magazines, who can demonstrate excellent contact-building experience and can show evidence that they are used to working at pace while producing high-quality content.
This is a high-profile role in a high-profile sector, with regular contact with senior figures in government.
While education knowledge is not essential, a desire to learn quickly and develop a passion for the sector is critical. In addition to writing, there will be the possible opportunity for the commissioning and editing of articles and some video and podcast work.
- Proactively source ideas for articles
- Write clear, engaging and accurate copy in line with the standards specified
- Meet deadlines
- Conduct research
- Collaborate with other writers and/or TES news reporters when required
- Ensure material is free from libel risk
- Attend and contribute to meetings and fulfil any action points
- Visit schools or other institutions as required
- Develop and maintain contacts and to share the information with the team
What will you need to succeed?
- Experience producing a raft of content types for a national magazine, newspaper or business-to-business publication
- Experience working to multiple deadlines and an ability to manage workload using your own initiative
- Ability to produce clean, accurate and insightful copy
- Experience working with datasets
- Experience building networks of contacts and interviewing high-profile individuals
- Faultless spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Use of social media to promote articles and build up a personal brand that helps position Tes as a market leader in education insights
- Examples of cross-department collaboration
- Excellent task management and attention to detail
Though not essential, it would be advantageous if you had the following:
- A knowledge of, or interest in, the education sector
- Media law
- Experience hosting podcasts or webinars
- Appearing on TV or radio as an interviewee
What do you get in return?
- 25 days annual leave rising to 30
- 5% pension after probation
- Hybrid working, 3+ days in the office
- Health care cash plan
- State of the art city centre offices
- Access to a range of benefits via My Benefits World
- Discounted city centre parking
- Free eye care cover
- Life Assurance
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- EAP (Employee assistance programme)
- Monthly Tes Socials
- Access to an extensive Learning and Development menu
Who are Tes?
Tes powers schools and enables great teaching worldwide, by creating intelligent online products and services to make the greatest difference in education.
For more than 100 years, we’ve supported schools and been a champion of great teaching. As education is changing, so are we. We’ve grown to provide a wide range of products to help schools and students flourish.
We work together with teachers and schools to build trusted education solutions that help them to be the best they can be. From safeguarding and compliance, to staff and pupil management, and professional development and SEND provision, our innovative and flexible services help teachers and school leaders worldwide to provide the best education to millions of children.
Tes has over 13m teachers in its online community and working relationships with 25,000 schools in over 100 countries. Tes brings educators together online so they can share expertise and teaching resources and it provides them with vital information, research and analysis about education via its fully digital Tes Magazine.
Tes is a global company employing over 600 people and operating across 10 offices, including in London, Sheffield, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Dubai.
We are proud of our people centric culture where everyone is driven to achieve the same goal. We are an agile organisation striving for continuous improvement. We invest in our people with extensive learning and development opportunities and support our colleagues with various mentoring and career enhancement programmes.
Tes Global will ensure all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or on the basis of disability. We invite applicants to contact us directly to identify any additional support required.