Editorial assistant at New Internationalist Magazine
New Internationalist is a magazine committed to social and environmental justice and reporting the under-reported, particularly in the Global South.
We produce in-depth journalism which highlights the world’s unjust power relationships; campaigns for the radical changes necessary to meet the basic needs of all; and brings to life ideas and action in the fight for a more equal and democratic world.
The editorial assistant will be part of our small editorial team which is responsible for producing the New Internationalist magazine, website, social media and other publications. This role will support editorial work across the magazine, website and social media. It will involve editing and administrative support, with the opportunity for writing – but writing will not be the main focus of the role.
We’re looking for someone organized, motivated and full of enthusiasm for independent media, who is also committed to tackling oppression and injustice. The person needs to be able to work co-operatively and collaboratively as part of a small team, as well as work independently in this remote role.
We’re an anti-racist, feminist and trans-inclusive organization. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized or oppressed groups who are currently under-represented in journalism.
Location: Remote working from home, with regular in-person meetings with a line manager in a UK location to be confirmed, and other in-person meetings on a periodic basis.
Salary: £25,000 pro rata, per annum.
Hours: Full time (35 hours), spread across 5 days. One year fixed-term contract. There may be the need to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Start date: As soon as possible, taking into account notice periods and other commitments.
Deadline for applications: Midnight on Friday 16 February
Online interview: Tuesday 9 April
Download Job Description and Person Specification.
In order to apply for this role send an email to email@example.com with all of these things:
- Your CV: Maximum two sides of A4, minimum size 11 font.
- A cover letter of no more than one page explaining how your skills and experience meet those required for the post (see person specification) and making reference to the job description. As part of the letter please explain how you see your politics, and how these fit with those of the magazine.
- Two examples of your written work as links or attachment.
- The date you could you start this job.
- The names, email addresses and phone numbers of two people who can provide references. One should be from your most recent employer. We will only contact them if you are offered the role.
Please put ‘Editorial assistant’ in the subject of all emails about this role.