Platts, Senior Managing Editor - News
Platts, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies, is a leading global provider of energy and metals information. With nearly a century of business experience, Platts serves customers across more than 150 countries. From 14 offices worldwide, we serve the oil, natural gas, electricity, nuclear power, coal, petrochemical and metals markets. Our real time news, pricing, analytical services, and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency. Traders, risk managers, analysts, and industry leaders depend upon Platts to help them make better trading and investment decisions.
The Senior Managing Editor manages two direct reports and is responsible for editorial processes and the development of content across teams, particularly with the Washington, DC-based Nuclear group. The position has significant publishing experience and is an expert in a specific area of coverage.
Manages editorial processes:
• Establishes and manages the editorial workflow for four publications, focusing on contributions from self, two staffers and several non-North American stringers
• Prioritizes coverage for self/staff/stringers, writes and edits copy
• Regularly reviews the quality and content of non-North American news coverage and develops and maintains Platts journalistic standards and practices.
• Tracks editorial quality and operational metrics
• Conducts primary reporting and editing functions as integral part of job
• Develops and maintains productive relationships with a broad base of key industry sources and leverages them in the editorial process
Manages editorial staff activities:
• Manages staff scheduling and assignments
• Coaches staff on reporting/editing activities
• Conducts staff performance review
• Initiates staff training and development efforts
• Has input into hiring process for department
• Manages freelancers (stringers) for up to four publications
Leads news and content development:
• Continuously evaluates editorial content and determines what has relevance to readership
• Engages subscribers to better understand market and trends; and to increase understanding around reader relevance.
• Leverages understanding of reader relevance to continuously develop value-added news/information
• Continuously learns and analyzes market issues and looks for news and enterprise story opportunities
Manages external engagement activities and serves as subject matter expert
• Participates as panelist/speaker at industry events, responds to requests for comment on industry from other media
Qualifications and Requirements:
• BA degree in journalism with previous reporting/writing/editing or editorial management experience.
• Strong communication skills that implement good listening, clear writing style; and strong verbal skills. The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
• Strong leadership ability which utilizes influence, and promotes team collaboration and development, as well as personal accountability.
• Leverages good basic math skills in the editing/reporting processes, including a firm understanding of in statistics. Solid understanding of economics principles and of risk management principles.
• Strong at identifying improvements and efficiencies and implementing processes that continually promote productivity and quality improvements.
• Strong critical thinking skills and expert at problem/conflict resolution.
• Strong technical competency and computer skills coupled with a good knowledge and utilization of Microsoft Excel ; Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Outlook…); and good keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy), and is able to adopt new technologies and champion those changes internally
To apply for this vacancy, please click on the link below and search for vacancy number: 26748: