Studentbeans.com, Sub Editor (and Brilliant Article Producer)
Sub Editor (and Brilliant Article Producer)
studentbeans.com is the UK’s leading student website. With millions of visits per month, the site saves students money with deals, discounts and money saving advice as well as offering them viral content and student life related articles. Essentially we do everything we can to make students’ lives a little more awesome.
We have achieved tremendous success and growth so far and have very ambitious international expansion plans for the future.
About this role
We are looking for someone to become a central part of our expanding editorial team at an incredibly exciting time in its development.
You will be right in the thick of things, responsible for the quality and reliable flow of growing amounts of content. You’ll be constructing and implementing water-tight procedures, so you’ll have to be incredibly organised, and detail oriented - but at the same time you’ll have key involvement in the creative management of the team alongside the Editor and Lead Writer.
If you want to be the person that makes sure young people are receiving brilliant article after brilliant article, and to get them Tweeting ‘Serious addiction to @studentbeans.com - love it! #brilliantprocrastination’ even more than they already are, then read on...
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Establishing and running efficient processes to ensure a reliable flow of content of consistent quality.
• Quality control - ensuring articles are the best they can be. Making suggestions for improvements. Putting systems, checks and processes in place to ensure and raise quality.
• Rewriting material so that it flows or reads better and adheres to the house style.
• Ensuring layout and visual presentation is consistent with house style.
• Key contact point for marketing and commercial arms of the business. Coordinating editorial output with these departments.
• Liaising with editors and writers particularly in terms of brief setting, headline writing and idea creation - your ability to have a creative input in these will be a major advantage.
• Training new writers in house style.
• Editing copy for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
You will be...
• Highly organised. Detail orientated. A multi tasker. Very quick.
• Ability to identify and amend clunky phrases, overlong sentences and conceptual inconsistencies.
• Ability to communicate quickly and effectively with a variety of people - you will be the hub that makes this editorial department tick.
• Tactful and understanding - you will be feeding constructive criticism back to writers, and need to be able to maintain good relations whilst nurturing their enthusiasm and creativity, in order to help them become better writers.
• Acute quality radar. You are discerning - you can distinguish between content that simply isn’t good enough, and content that shines. Critically, you can identify and implement edits to greatly improve content that has potential.
• A high awareness of viral content and the culture, attitudes and issues of the 16-24 year old demographic. You consume content of the type produced on studentbeans.com from a wide variety of sources and you are aware of broader trends in this type of content.
• Impeccable grammar.
• You are passionate about producing amazing examples of the content you love.
You are (extremely) likely to have...
• 2+ years experience of managing the publication of large amounts of content.
• 2+ years experience of managing and coordinating a large number of people producing content, in house and remotely. Creating and applying processes to ensure a reliable and efficient flow of content.
• Experience of writing for the web.
• Degree, preferably humanities.
• NCTJ membership.
Close working relationships are built over time (not through the hard sell approach). If you would like to be included in our review list please email recruitmentreview [at] thebeansgroup.com. We don’t accept sales calls, if you choose to contact us in this manner you will be excluded from our review list.