New Scientist, News Editor
New Scientist, the world's leading science magazine and website, has a rare vacancy for a senior news editor.
We are looking for an experienced science journalist to join our dynamic news team based in London.
The successful candidate will have a good science degree, experience of working to daily and weekly deadlines, a portfolio of relevant articles, a grasp of the main issues in science, health and technology, and be full of fresh and entertaining ideas for commissioning and writing compelling articles for print and digital. We want someone who can demonstrate the ability to commission, edit and write exclusive stories, and to communicate complex subjects in an accurate yet engaging manner. The candidate will have an understanding of the changing nature of news consumption, an editorial vision for the news department, and a good sense of how to lead a team of their peers.
• Working in print and online, the candidate will be expected to commission, edit and write news stories of all lengths and source multimedia stories such as video and interactive graphics
• To keep abreast of developments in his or her chosen scientific field(s)
Key Skills and Experience Required:
The successful candidate should have
• A good science degree
• Demonstrable success in breaking exclusive stories
• An in-depth knowledge of specific academic areas, and the ability to use this as a basis for investigations and reports into cutting edge science
• An ability to keep abreast of developments in your chosen field(s) and a strong motivation to commission and write compelling, timely, and authoritative news stories
• A vision of the direction your chosen specialist scientific fields are moving in
• Experience of working to daily and/or weekly deadlines
Reed Business Information brings market leading brands to an audience of millions of decision makers worldwide through its multi-platform media of data services, online lead generation services, community websites, magazines and events. Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Reed Elsevier is a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors.
The position will be based in our main office in central London. Candidates should have the legal right to work in the UK.
RBI General Benefits Package
• Pension Scheme
• 29 Days Holiday
• Paid Charity Days – 2 days per year
• Life Insurance (4x salary)
• Save As You Earn Share Scheme (SAYE)
• Competitive Salaries