ICIS, Market Reporter
Are you a journalist looking for the job security of an international publishing brand with double-digit growth year after year? Do you want to report on a thriving market and write unbiased copy that matters? Would you like to travel across Europe and further? If so, you should work for ICIS, the world’s largest petrochemical reporting service.
ICIS offers unrivalled coverage of worldwide petrochemical markets through a global team of nearly 600 people, with bureaus in London, Houston, New York, Washington, Milan, Singapore and Shanghai. We are looking for an analytical and innovative journalist to join our petrochemical pricing team in our Sutton, London, office.
At ICIS we gather information from a wide cross-section of contacts and resources to provide unbiased information across a variety of content types. The role will include daily and weekly price reporting, breaking news stories, writing in-depth analytical pieces and magazine articles, as well as reporting through video bulletins, podcasts and social media.
The ideal candidate will have the highest journalistic and ethical standards and be unafraid to thoroughly investigate markets to produce reliable, detailed and piercing copy. You will become an expert in a variety of petrochemical markets, travel across Europe to maintain and develop relationships with key industry contacts, and be provided with opportunities to speak at conferences and work on projects that will help you advance your career.
ICIS offers an unrivalled work/life balance, and a friendly and supportive atmosphere with ongoing training and development.
- Cover a portfolio of petrochemical markets to produce daily and weekly price reports, market analyses, real-time news and in-depth stories
- Write engaging copy to regular deadlines, with the highest level of accuracy, balance and analysis
- Proactively chase stories across your portfolio of petrochemicals
- Interview market sources by telephone and face-to-face to discover pricing information and market trends
- Assess the validity of information and place it within a wider context
- Develop sources and maintain existing relationships
- Travel to industry events in Europe and around the world
- Produce podcasts and video content
Key Skills Required:
- High journalistic ethics and standards
- An inquisitive mind
- A strong eye for a story
- A good communicator, able to write compelling copy to strict deadlines
- Ability to work in a team and be highly adaptable to a fast-paced and continuously developing environment
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Someone friendly and approachable
- Someone unafraid to ask probing questions and challenge information
- Able to explain complex financial concepts in a simple and engaging way
- Knowledge of economic principles
- Direct experience in journalism or a journalism degree
- Petrochemical industry knowledge or knowledge of financial markets is desirable but not required
- Ability to speak a foreign language would be beneficial but not necessary
At Reed Business Information we provide information and online data services to business professionals worldwide. Customers have access to our high-value industry data, analytics, information and tools. Our strong global brands hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day. RBI people are driven by an environment focussed on innovation, passion for our products, and collaboration, where working in an agile manner is par for the course. RBI is part of Reed Elsevier, a leading global provider of data, information and solutions for professional customers.
RBI General Benefits Package:
- Pension Scheme
- 29 Days Holiday
- Paid Charity Days – 2 days per year
- Life Insurance (4x salary)
- Save As You Earn Share Scheme (SAYE)
- Competitive Salaries